• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

So If abortion is legal, women would carry a baby for 9 nine months before terminating the pregnancy?

Who would think to say such a thing?

It’s projection. They are trying to legislate against their own creepy fantasies.

Meanwhile, non-weird people don’t need to pull themselves out of that dark abyss because they were never there to begin with.

I had to show id when I voted. They looked at it, got a ruler, crossed my name off a list, and gave me a ballot.

And not one Rhinoceros candidate on the ballot either.
You may have showed your ID but you don’t actually need it. Leafman is right. Someone can vouch for you.

Wouldn't those all be considered radical-left communist nations according to the GOP?

It's a brutal list for a bagload of reasons. There are the straight up inaccuracies (Canada allows voting without ID, so does Germany and a bunch of others there), the inclusion of some non functioning democracies, but even where it's accurate it misses a really key point in there. Sure...Spain, Finland, Argentina, and a bucket more require ID to vote. But those countries all have a unified national ID card that is provided for free to all residents. The US has a fundamentally fucked up voting system with 51 different sets of rules for registration, etc. Pieces of ID that California might accept are not the same Alabama would accept. Basically, in the US, ID requirements are used to make it more difficult for people to register and vote where in the other functioning democracies on that list, it's a super simple top down system where you're automatically registered and a national ID card used for accessing a bunch of other services is required to vote.

Also, it's not lost on me that it's okay to make an argument (however intentionally inaccurate it is) about the need for voter ID because everyone else is doing it....but try to make that same argument about social safety nets, single payer healthcare, etc to a republican voter and the American Exceptionalism card comes out immediately.

Back