• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

And no, I'd never argue that polymarket, of all markets, is an accurate representation of reality. Please do not invent my arguments. Thank you.

journalism has absolutely failed us, and is probably the biggest reason we are where we are.

which is where exactly? our society has a lot of flaws but still pretty good....lots of cultural progress despite the fact that the GOP (and CONS in Canada) win their fair share of elections.

which is where exactly? our society has a lot of flaws but still pretty good....lots of cultural progress despite the fact that the GOP (and CONS in Canada) win their fair share of elections.
I mean we’re way too close for comfort that a guy who attempted a coup four years ago is going to retake power? Polls really shouldn’t be as close as they are.

The failure of journalism is more a failure of capitalism.

I think humanity is more tribal than most of us would like to admit. Journos tout the value of immigration, but even in fairer capitalistic countries like Sweden and Denmark, the far right has gained traction with highly polarised rhetoric around immigration.

So it's not just a Trump phenomenon.

journalism has absolutely failed us, and is probably the biggest reason we are where we are.

and this long precedes and goes far beyond anything to do with trump.
Absolutely. Journalists covering up Biden's cognitive state before and while in office is one of the biggest scandals of all time.

I think humanity is more tribal than most of us would like to admit. Journos tout the value of immigration, but even in fairer capitalistic countries like Sweden and Denmark, the far right has gained traction with highly polarised rhetoric around immigration.

So it's not just a Trump phenomenon.
Because Denmark has done well publicized and documented studies on who commits crimes in the country and immigrants are an outsized proportion of crimes.

1729179602346.png

and this long precedes and goes far beyond anything to do with trump.
It started when Reagan got rid of the fairness doctrine and accelerated when media companies stopped running their news divisions as a public service that didn't need to make its own money and started running them as profit centers and revenue generators. Like any other industry where money is the only thing allowed to matter, everything gets perverted to serve the bottom line.

Lol
“One of the biggest scandals of all time”
You have your scandal bar set pretty fucking low.
not only that, but apparently he still can't figure out how an 81 year old man could possibly have slowed down physically and mentally, but not have full-blown dementia, and still be able to understand shit while struggling at times to speak despite his speech impediment being public knowledge for decades.

Back