• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Fitness Nerds and Babe

in the popular imagination, fat and total calories in/calories out have dominated the weight loss discourse, when in reality this is totally the wrong way to look at it. the true issue for many is sugar, insulin, and insulin resistance. Not all calories are equivalent and what type they are is more important than how many.

On this note, there’s some interesting studies on insulin levels related to how you eat your food…..ie: if you eat your fibrous veggies first, and then your protein & higher glycemic index carbs last, the fiber at the beginning helps flatted out your overall insulin spike.

Which is where I’ll again pimp psyllium fiber husk powder (in smoothies) or a capsule or two before a meal that might not otherwise be fiber dense, I think it’s liable to give people a much wider birth when it comes to just how restrictive their diet even needs to be.

Plus it’s amazing for your gut microbiome, and is going to help a ton with satiety.

Quinoa salad is my go to. Olive oil, red wine vinegar and peppers. Simple but edible

I think vinegar is a real key ingredient to a great diet as well….not too many things compared when it comes to adding flavor & vibrancy to a dish, for no increase in calories. Soups, dressings, pan sauces….i put that shit in everything.

I got really into sherry vinegar about 10 years ago now, and can’t recommend it enough…how some people are about fine wines, scotch or coffee, I am about sherry vinegars.

Like a good bottle of scotch, I’ll often have a bottle of 30 year aged sherry vinegar, that only comes out for certain guests or dishes. 😆

It begins with sherry, that marvelously complex and affordable wine with blasts of almonds, sea salt, or caramel. But instead of the wine getting fortified, it's fermented further, with bacteria converting alcohol into acetic acid.

….over the last few decades, more and more producers have turned their attention to vinegars, employing the same aging and maturation technique that's used for wine—the solera system—to bring out the vinegar's full potential.

The wine then spends a minimum of six months aging and fermenting into vinegar with bacteria in oak barrels. As it continues to ferment, it soaks up all those aged wood flavors and aromas, and some sherry vinegars are matured over the course of decades or generations for bolder, more oaky complexions.

The result: incredible complexity, a mix of aged depth and bright acidity in every bottle.

Like great coffee beans, I feel sherry vinegar is one of those things worth paying that little extra for given the major value in brings to your final product…

It’s a little harder to find, usually can’t get it at the supermarket, but it’s worth tracking down a place nearby where you can try an assortment of different types, ages, etc…

can't say I've ever knowingly crossed paths with a sherry vinegar snob before!

if a humble nova scotian wanted an introduction to the world of sherry vinegar, where should they look?

but also, seeing the huge variance in quality of various 'olive oil' products, montana could easily be on to something here...

I didn’t want to push my luck and bring up olive oils as well, but you’re bang on, it’s nearly identical in terms of just how much better quality it can be if you upgrade to quality made stuff.

A high quality finishing olive oil & a good sherry vinegar is the ideal combo…..and then you can have your cheaper daily drive olive oil for cooking etc.

Balsamic vinegars are up there too….getting a well made Modena, that isn’t pumped full of sugar like some of the knockoff supermarket ones is a good investment as well. In fact many of you may prefer a good balsamic to a sherry, but for me the subtler nutty/oak depth of a sherry vinegar is my sweet spot.

I didn’t want to push my luck and bring up olive oils as well, but you’re bang on, it’s nearly identical in terms of just how much better quality it can be if you upgrade to quality made stuff.

A high quality finishing olive oil & a good sherry vinegar is the ideal combo…..and then you can have your cheaper daily drive olive oil for cooking etc.

Balsamic vinegars are up there too….getting a well made Modena, that isn’t pumped full of sugar like some of the knockoff supermarket ones is a good investment as well. In fact many of you may prefer a good balsamic to a sherry, but for me the subtler nutty/oak depth of a sherry vinegar is my sweet spot.
thoughts on costco olive oil?

I know it's not the bees knees, but seems a good compromise of price and quality, in my experience. I know costco also takes their quality control very seriously

can't say I've ever knowingly crossed paths with a sherry vinegar snob before!

if a humble nova scotian wanted an introduction to the world of sherry vinegar, where should they look?

Halifax im guessing would ave some great olive oil specialty shops, that would also have an array of sherry & balsamic vinegars, I suspect.

Gourmet warehouse online also has some, as does Amazon….but if you can find any little artisanal food shop they’re liable to have it. As would some quality deli’s/butcher shops sometimes if they have international foods they also bring in.

To just dip one’s toes in upgrading their vinegar tho, these O vinegars are often available at the grocery store and don’t cost much…

IMG_4350.jpeg

It’s also just nice to always have a clear citrus or Champagne vinegar on hand. depending on the pan sauce/vinaigrette you’re making.

My favorite sherry vinegar I’ve found tho, has been this 10 year aged Arvum Gran Reserva Sherry Vinegar….it tastes the best, but also has had the most depth and complexity of any I’ve tried.

IMG_4353.jpeg

IMG_4352.jpeg

Also comes with its own pouring spout that you attach after uncorking it, and I’m a sucker for that kind of gimmick.

thoughts on costco olive oil?

I know it's not the bees knees, but seems a good compromise of price and quality, in my experience. I know costco also takes their quality control very seriously

Yeah it’s great, there’s other I prefer solely as a finishing oil…but for quality and price, that you can use for everything, it’s a fantastic daily driver that’s tough to beat…..and better than any grocery store bottle for sure.

Last edited:
Holy shit I love forumice

Thanks to your comment about more recent papers on dry needling, and others vouching for it, I went in to the physio yesterday and got it done.

Also just had a proper assessment done, and he picked up on tightness in my shoulders/upper back that was straining everything else.

More than anything though, it was valuable learning specifically which exercises I can go hard on to repair the tendon (and not do further damage, which was my concern prior to going in….not knowing exactly how much to push it)…..and then outside of the exercises to lay off it, wear a brace if working out/doing repetitive work, etc.

Also did a grip test and learned my dominant hand was 20% less strong than my left, because of the elbow injury, which was the kick in the ass I needed to prioritize taking it more seriously & getting it healthy again.

So yeah, Forumice is great.

Thanks to your comment about more recent papers on dry needling, and others vouching for it, I went in to the physio yesterday and got it done.

Also just had a proper assessment done, and he picked up on tightness in my shoulders/upper back that was straining everything else.

More than anything though, it was valuable learning specifically which exercises I can go hard on to repair the tendon (and not do further damage, which was my concern prior to going in….not knowing exactly how much to push it)…..and then outside of the exercises to lay off it, wear a brace if working out/doing repetitive work, etc.

Also did a grip test and learned my dominant hand was 20% less strong than my left, because of the elbow injury, which was the kick in the ass I needed to prioritize taking it more seriously & getting it healthy again.

So yeah, Forumice is great.
12940aac10.jpg

Jk

another god tier condiment….miso butter.

White miso paste mixed 1:1 with softened butter, and a big splash of sherry vinegar, some fresh pepper…and you have one of the most versatile, unctuous, umami, bright, sharp flavoured condiments that tastes amazing on anything from fish, to chicken, to asparagus, corn, honestly just about any veggie imaginable.

It’s maybe the best ratio of impressive flavour : work required, in my kitchen toolbox….impresses the fuck out of people who have never had it (or who can’t recognize the miso flavour)….given how original and different a taste it is.

Both Momofuku (with corn, or on blackened cod) and Nobu (over fried asparagus) have had it as a staple on their menus for years.

….also nice for your micro biome that you’re doubling down on the fermentation with the miso & vinegar.

IMG_4357.jpeg

IMG_4359.jpeg

IMG_4360.jpeg

Last edited:
I think vinegar is a real key ingredient to a great diet as well….not too many things compared when it comes to adding flavor & vibrancy to a dish, for no increase in calories. Soups, dressings, pan sauces….i put that shit in everything.

I got really into sherry vinegar about 10 years ago now, and can’t recommend it enough…how some people are about fine wines, scotch or coffee, I am about sherry vinegars.

Like a good bottle of scotch, I’ll often have a bottle of 30 year aged sherry vinegar, that only comes out for certain guests or dishes. 😆

Like great coffee beans, I feel sherry vinegar is one of those things worth paying that little extra for given the major value in brings to your final product…

It’s a little harder to find, usually can’t get it at the supermarket, but it’s worth tracking down a place nearby where you can try an assortment of different types, ages, etc…
I'm half Spanish from Spain and my wife is super Canadian, and always loves Spanish food and salads and always wondered why my mom's salads were so good and different.
Sherry Vinegar is the answer.

We're all weirdos with our own little weirdo niches we know too much about.

Finding others who have great taste whose opinions you trust is such a great life hack…be it in art or music or food, etc…helps to cut out the fat so much.

Similarly recognizing those in your friend group, be it irl or online, that obsessively dive into the research when making any big ticket purchases….and check in with them anytime you yourself are making a similar purchase. Can’t beat having quality research and analysis already haven been done for you.

Like, if I could have found a MAT trained physio on PEI….thats where I was going, cause you and Prez giving it the stamp of approval was all I needed to hear.

I'm half Spanish from Spain and my wife is super Canadian, and always loves Spanish food and salads and always wondered why my mom's salads were so good and different.
Sherry Vinegar is the answer.

That makes my day…..my ex was Italian and I always loved getting recipes & ingredient suggestions from her Nona.

Any idea what style or brands she liked most?

Back