• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

I found Bizarre intriguing as a kid, probably only because it was on super late and it was fun staying up. But I never really got the Super Dave shtick. Still don’t.

I could be wrong, but I think Super Dave was on before HNIC at some point. The two shows I distinctly remember from my childhood watching at my grandparents before the hockey games were All in the Family and Super Dave Osborne. Family dinner, then tv in the den together then we'd spread out in the house to watch HNIC and whatever my mom and sisters wanted to watch (not sportsfans).

The A&W in the US has zero connection to the A&W in Canada and hasn't for quite some time. Two completely independent corporations just trying to make a buck in completely different markets.

True enough, but the other thing to think about when it comes to these superactors is that they usually make it big really young and then go on for decades. It's not like they often bounce around for 10-20 years and then make it. It's fast for them, so they probably can't even relate to the journey that almost all other wannabes go on for years on end only to hit a dead end.

Cruise, Pitt, Hoffman, Hemsworth, Downey, DiCaprio - basically all the big ones you can think of, became famous really early on, and so whatever struggle they had might've been for just a few years as teens or in their early 20s which is a time when everyone in every field is busy struggling through university or some trade and making no money. Even a guy like Clooney who hit his stride later was famous in industry circles for having been in like a dozen failed pilots and other guest starring roles (Facts of Life, Roseanne), where he himself says he was making a lot of money while still being a relative unknown.
And he was Rosemary Clooney's nephew, so there were a few showbiz connections for him to tap that the average Joe didn't have.

But there are some big name actors who were late bloomers too.

Kevin Costner kicked around doing TV commercials, bit parts and non-speaking parts for years before he had a breakout role at the age of 30. Sydney Greenstreet, who played the fat man in the Maltese Falcon as well as Humphrey Bogart's rival cafe owner in Casablanca, didn't appear in a movie until he was 61.
Tiffany Haddish was 37 when she hit it big (she had sometimes been homeless earlier in her "career")
Samuel L. Jackson was 43 when he first got noticed in Jungle Fever.
Brian Cranston was 44 when he got the role in Malcolm in the Middle.

Of course, the thing about actors who had to spend years waiting tables or living in their cars before breaking out tend to be the ones who don't lord their celebrity over people. They know they're lucky.

The A&W in the US has zero connection to the A&W in Canada and hasn't for quite some time. Two completely independent corporations just trying to make a buck in completely different markets.
Yep, I knew that going in... but wanted to try it. Was a bit surprised to see the Papa Burger even.

The mascot looks the same, but instead of being called the Root Bear, his name is Rooty.

Super Dave bio (HBO) was a good watch, just to be reminded of the show 'Bizarre'.

Home Team (Netflix) was better than expected with some good young actors, and some good laughs.
They filmed Bizzare at the CFTO studios at McCowan and the 401 if memory serves.

Reactions: BG
I could be wrong, but I think Super Dave was on before HNIC at some point. The two shows I distinctly remember from my childhood watching at my grandparents before the hockey games were All in the Family and Super Dave Osborne. Family dinner, then tv in the den together then we'd spread out in the house to watch HNIC and whatever my mom and sisters wanted to watch (not sportsfans).
I'm old enough to remember that the show before HNIC came on was The Tommy Hunter Show. I never watched Hunter, but I did manage to see the last 30 seconds of every show he ever did that aired before HNIC.

I also recall seeing the first few seconds of The Beachcombers every week before quickly changing the channel.

Went to an American A&W the other day for the first time... What a disappointment. The menu was completely different than in Canada.View attachment 11237
Yeah, the Canadian A&W is more true to what the brand used to be back in the day. The US chain kept none of its own legacy, No Mama Burgers, Whistle Dogs or Chubby Chicken. And they put ice in the root beer!

Back