• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

Earthquake was bad
It would have to aspire just to be considered bad. Disaster movies were a bit of a fad in the 70's and like anything else they beat the horse until it was dead. In addition to Earthquake was the Poseidon Adventure, The Towering Inferno, and the Airport franchise (70, 75, 77 and 79) which inspired the Airplane! spoofs.

Hamburger Hill is a deeply underrated war film
Not as good as "Pork Chop Hill" with Gregory Peck and certainly not nearly as good as "The Hill" with Sean Connery, directed by Sidney Lumet. Possibly not even the equal of "A Hill in Korea" with Michael Caine in his first on-screen role (and who actually served in Korea himself)

Finally! Someone with a functioning adult brain.

Wait a second....so the type of fictional character you're willing to believe in is the delineation between a functioning adult brain and not?

If being a judgemental tool is required to be a functioning adult, you can keep it bud. Most adults I've met struggle to breathe with their mouth closed.

love the arrogance from guys like you and LoF who are so blissfully unaware that they're fanboys for big budget hollywood schlock that appeals to the very same childish make believe impulses that they're trying to talk down to.
You and your buddy here keep misunderstanding what I’ve said. Quick summary.

We got here because you said you were embarrassed to admit you watched This Is Us, a quality show about family relationships. I found this “talking down”hilarious given that a few posts earlier you were busy proclaiming your obsession with a sci-if franchise about robots bungling around and touching each other in weird places to solve problems in the midst of a war between guys trained by a flying green gnome and guys wearing buckets on their heads.

Then the subject of comic book movies came up and I said they were mostly garbage too. But you scoffed at that as well because some space troupe led by a talking raccoon and a mobile plant was firmly rooted (pardon the pun) in realism and we’re awesome. Specifically about Spidey, I said the source material could provide the basis for way better films, and you laughed at how ridiculous the thought of READING a story was just because it is accompanied by pictures of the characters you rush to see on the big screen.

So then, talking down, you say?

To wipe out any further doubt, I repeat, to each his own. I think sci-fi is usually boring and lame, and that most comic book movies are all action and frequently no compelling story. I also think they should both be considered more embarrassing for a grown man with ewok thumbs to see than a show like This Is Us.

Unfortunately, This is Us is embarassing shameful shlocky tripe. One of the lowest points of my life. I may end it all now. Stay tuned.

But Superhero movies and Star Wars movies are the exact same level of fun action and spectacle with a similar amount of depth, and a similar amount of good and bad films. Arguing that eye lasers and power gems and thunder gods are more mature and realistic than laser swords and robots and aliens is........ hilarious.

P.S. Comic Books are not "reading". They are kids' picture books. Not literature. Mocking film adaptations for not having the depth of comic books is pure Comic Book Guy geekery.

I’m literally stunned that a dude who rushes to go see all the comic book movies - all of them, even the crap franchises that no one reads - is arguing that comic books have no literary value. Has anything more ironic and absurd been said here yet?

heh you don't understand how the nerdery of comic book collections is different than watching superhero flicks?

No, I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make. Whatever it is, it’s dumb. Because artwork accompanies text in comic books, they’ve lost all literary value? Even though they are the basis of the stories and feature the “children’s cartoon” characters you rush to see in theaters but you find so silly to read? Comic book film = cool adult shit. Comic book = lame baby stuff?

You could also just admit you don’t know what you’re talking about. Heck, I’m willing to admit you don’t. Go check out something like “Long Halloween”, which will take you hours to finish and is as adult as any Batman story could ever be, and way better than pretty much every story you love in the films. Plus it’s the basis for the latest film. But hey, it has pictures and therefore no value other than giving rise to a billion dollar film that you’ve probably seen five times already.

Back