• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

A bridge too far was a very mediocre war movie.

And like all movies it fictionalized much of the story anyways.

If you want reality, there's many documentaries on Operation Market Garden that are far more realistic.

I feel bad for you dressing like Yoda for seven straight Halloweens. I was into Marvel and DC stuff back then, Transformers, GI Joe, etc. I didn’t get the appeal of lame live action garbage with little stuffed teddy bears at war with guys wearing white garbage pails on their heads.
Sci-fi and comic book action heroes were never my thing and the hype around Star Wars has always eluded me. It's a two reeler cowboys and Indians movie with lasers. I saw the first Star Trek movie and found it tedious for the most part but I did enjoy Wrath of Khan. I've seen all the OG Star Trek movies (1 thru 5) and found the even numbered ones to be more entertaining than the odd numbered ones. But any of them were more entertaining than any Star Wars movie.

I also saw the first couple of Superman movies with Christopher Reeve and enjoyed them too, but I didn't need to see them more than once. As an adult I studiously avoid most sci-fi and comic book movies. I saw the first Batman but I've never liked Tim Burton movies so it did nothing for me. I saw the Clooney Batman but couldn't tell you much about it. It was pretty pedestrian. I made a point of seeing the one directed by Christopher Nolan because he's a director who's work I appreciate and I like Christian Bale (I will also watch anything with Michael Caine in it)

Apart from that the only comic book movie I can say I really enjoyed and looked forward to a sequel was Deadpool. Ryan Reynolds is hilarious and I also like spotting all the Vancouver locations where they filmed.

But give me a good war movie over a sci-fi or fantasy movie any day. I re-watched The Great Escape yesterday on TCM for the umpteenth time and still enjoyed it.

The Great Escape is almost entirely fictionalized, and is a prison break movie, not a war movie.

A bridge too far was a very mediocre war movie.

And like all movies it fictionalized much of the story anyways.

If you want reality, there's many documentaries on Operation Market Garden that are far more realistic.
A Bridge Too Far was one of the last (if not the last) of the "all star cast" war movies and of course you didn't get the Saving Private Ryan style blood and gore back then but you couldn't go wrong with that cast. It's a classic.

Sean Connery
Michael Caine
Anthony Hopkins
Gene Hackman
Elliott Gould
James Caan
Ryan O'Neal
Robert Redford
Dirk Bogarde
Lawrence Olivier
Maximillian Schell

Directed by Richard Attenborough, written by William Goldman.

Nothing mediocre about that lot.

Yes it was fictionalized, despite the fact that a couple of the participants (Lt. Gen. Brian Horrocks and Maj. Gen. Roy Urquhart) served as technical advisors. But no Hollywood adaptation is going to be as accurate as a documentary.

It was well received by the British critics but the US press shunned it because it didn't cast many of the Allied high command in a positive light and Americans tend to like movies where the "good guys" (i.e. the Americans) win and where the Americans overshadow their British allies. That's why A Bridge Too Far was shunned by the Oscars while Patton won Best Picture.

The Great Escape is almost entirely fictionalized, and is a prison break movie, not a war movie.
It's more of a war movie than a prison break movie. It's not Shawshank with Germans.

And yes, it is heavily fictionalized. As they say in Hollywood, when you have a choice between the truth and the legend, print the legend. The Great Escape is not a documentary, it's entertainment.

A Bridge Too Far was one of the last (if not the last) of the "all star cast" war movies and of course you didn't get the Saving Private Ryan style blood and gore back then but you couldn't go wrong with that cast. It's a classic.

Sean Connery
Michael Caine
Anthony Hopkins
Gene Hackman
Elliott Gould
James Caan
Ryan O'Neal
Robert Redford
Dirk Bogarde
Lawrence Olivier
Maximillian Schell

Directed by Richard Attenborough, written by William Goldman.

Nothing mediocre about that lot.

Yes it was fictionalized, despite the fact that a couple of the participants (Lt. Gen. Brian Horrocks and Maj. Gen. Roy Urquhart) served as technical advisors. But no Hollywood adaptation is going to be as accurate as a documentary.

It was well received by the British critics but the US press shunned it because it didn't cast many of the Allied high command in a positive light and Americans tend to like movies where the "good guys" (i.e. the Americans) win and where the Americans overshadow their British allies. That's why A Bridge Too Far was shunned by the Oscars while Patton won Best Picture.

great cast, massive budget, mediocre movie.

EuRp.gif
Clearly there is one thing that Kate does not know about: impulse control.

It's more of a war movie than a prison break movie. It's not Shawshank with Germans.

And yes, it is heavily fictionalized. As they say in Hollywood, when you have a choice between the truth and the legend, print the legend. kThe Great Escape is not a documentary, it's entertainment.

yes a fun piece of fiction. with guns and explosiions for big boys to enjoy.

Haha, the guy who likes Guardians doesn't like comic books.

Kiddie cartoon books. Haha. You'll be sad to know the stories from the quality runs on those books smash these terrible film scripts to pieces.

I think that's why I'm not into them. They're just plain bad, unless you want to see some cool fx. Half the stories are ripped off from the books, and they make them terrible when adapting for the screen.

If you like Winter Soldier, go actually read the run that gave rise to the character. It blows the movies away.
This is like watching a debate between Leafs and Bruins fans. You want both sides to lose, if possible.

(But in this fight, LOF's comic book flicks >> sci-fi flicks take makes him the Bruins fan, who I will support if they're playing the Leafs, who are the greater evil)

Stranger Things was fine, but alot of "more of the same vibe" to me, and i was kinda bored.

The extra long episodes IMO were a mistake.
Classic example of a show that should have stopped after 1 season. Maybe 2 if you really wanted one last effort to run it back. The premise is not one that can or should be repeated for multiple seasons without it growing incredibly stale. For that reason, I only watched the first season. It was fine. No desire to watch the same plot another 5 times.

Also wild: the artists and writers who fleshed our future billion dollar characters like Spidey and Batman were barely paid a living wage — nobody had any idea that superhero movies would be the only films talked about 60 years later
Because back in the day, the idea that grown-assed men would still be reading comic books and dressing like 10 year old's was unthinkable. They naturally assumed that these comic books would be read only by kids. They also assumed that these kids would grow up and get jobs, putting away childish things like comic books. They never could have imagined multiple generations of grown ass men slacking their way through life while wearing images of their childhood comic book heroes on every t-shirt they owned. These comic book franchises make a fortune because there are millions of adults who live in a state of arrested adolescence the likes of which a young Stan Lee could not have predicted.

Asian market is huge, and action scenes don’t lose anything in translation.
Catering to the Asian market is primarily why we get these garbage movies. Explosions require no translation and Asians are nothing if not uber nerdy by and large. You can churn out an endless string of this crap and their appetite for it will never wane.

I doubt that shows like "This is Us" would get big ratings in China.

Back