• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

Their debt was thru the roof — scared everyone away…. The movie formula hadn’t been invented yet as the tech wasn’t good enough to make action sequences believable (unless you were 14)
Oh I know. It totally made sense for it to not be huge, though I thought they negligently ignored the animated business outside of basically two solitary series over 2-3 decades (Spidey and X-Men). I think there was much more demand from core fans.

But yeah, once the tech caught up so you could make a legit superhero movie, watch out. That's what I would've been banking on, but again, if it was just $10m out of $50m, I would've fucking owned Spidey and worried about things later.

Oh I know. It totally made sense for it to not be huge, though I thought they negligently ignored the animated business outside of basically two solitary series over 2-3 decades (Spidey and X-Men). I think there was much more demand from core fans.

But yeah, once the tech caught up so you could make a legit superhero movie, watch out. That's what I would've been banking on, but again, if it was just $10m out of $50m, I would've fucking owned Spidey and worried about things later.

Imagine how Stan Lee felt? Co-authored the universe but didn’t own shit by the end of it.

Yeah I'll stick to watching a few hours on the screen. You stick to cataloguing all the secondary and tertiary characters in your collection of kiddie cartoon books.
Haha, the guy who likes Guardians doesn't like comic books.

Kiddie cartoon books. Haha. You'll be sad to know the stories from the quality runs on those books smash these terrible film scripts to pieces.

I think that's why I'm not into them. They're just plain bad, unless you want to see some cool fx. Half the stories are ripped off from the books, and they make them terrible when adapting for the screen.

If you like Winter Soldier, go actually read the run that gave rise to the character. It blows the movies away.

Ironically enough I find Spider-Man more realistic than white hats fighting black hats in outer space. #TeamLOF
100%. I was just about to say, which is more relatable, the ordinary guy who gets powers from a random event, or fucking space bears flying ships and fighting living ooze balls? Hahaha. These fucking guys.

Imagine how Stan Lee felt? Co-authored the universe but didn’t own shit by the end of it.
Oh we know how he felt. I believe he sued and settled for a one time payment of $10M for all his rights to the Spidey character. I think maybe it was for the film rights, claiming he never agreed to part with his rights in those or something. Pretty awful.

Haha, the guy who likes Guardians doesn't like comic books.

Kiddie cartoon books. Haha. You'll be sad to know the stories from the quality runs on those books smash these terrible film scripts to pieces.

I think that's why I'm not into them. They're just plain bad, unless you want to see some cool fx. Half the stories are ripped off from the books, and they make them terrible when adapting for the screen.

If you like Winter Soldier, go actually read the run that gave rise to the character. It blows the movies away.

Literally the comic book guy trying to call other people unrealistic nerds.

Fantastic.

3htm.gif

Oh we know how he felt. I believe he sued and settled for a one time payment of $10M for all his rights to the Spidey character. I think maybe it was for the film rights, claiming he never agreed to part with his rights in those or something. Pretty awful.

Also wild: the artists and writers who fleshed our future billion dollar characters like Spidey and Batman were barely paid a living wage — nobody had any idea that superhero movies would be the only films talked about 60 years later

Literally the comic book guy trying to call other people unrealistic nerds.

Fantastic.
I think you misunderstood. I wasn't making any commentary on the nerd aspect of it. We're all nerds for liking the Leafs and not just leaving it at watching the games and reading a few articles here and there like in the pre-internet days.

It's the object of your nerdsession that I make fun of. Star Wars is fucking little girls and teddies and lizards and robots running around and playing with each other's hair. Batman, Spidey, and the rest were properties based on a relatable male character with a real life but with powers and/or villains to battle. I think it's funny to like that stuff, but to each his own.

If you like the Batman and Spidey movies, I don't get how you can make fun of anyone who likes the comic books that they came from. And you're too dumb to know that the quality content rests in the source material, not the crappy tentpole flicks that cater to the ignorant masses who can't admit to liking This Is Us.

I think you misunderstood. I wasn't making any commentary on the nerd aspect of it. We're all nerds for liking the Leafs and not just leaving it at watching the games and reading a few articles here and there like in the pre-internet days.

It's the object of your nerdsession that I make fun of. Star Wars is fucking little girls and teddies and lizards and robots running around and playing with each other's hair. Batman, Spidey, and the rest were properties based on a relatable male character with a real life but with powers and/or villains to battle. I think it's funny to like that stuff, but to each his own.

If you like the Batman and Spidey movies, I don't get how you can make fun of anyone who likes the comic books that they came from. And you're too dumb to know that the quality content rests in the source material, not the crappy tentpole flicks that cater to the ignorant masses who can't admit to liking This Is Us.
😬

Also wild: the artists and writers who fleshed our future billion dollar characters like Spidey and Batman were barely paid a living wage — nobody had any idea that superhero movies would be the only films talked about 60 years later
There's a great documentary on Bill Finger (I think that was his name) who actually collaborated with Bob Kane on Batman. DC ended up changing ongoing credits in the books to give him some secondary credit on the character.

More recently, lots of these creators have expressed extreme displeasure over how they created storylines that were lifted and adapted for the screen and got zero payment for it. They were paid for their work on the comics as a work for hire, so Marvel/DC actually owes them nothing. But they've been trying to create a movement by making noise each time one comes out. Brubaker more recently on the Winter Soldier one.

I actually count one of my most awesome clients as one of these creators, who has a close connection to one of the most recent superhero films as it was a variation of a story he wrote for the comics. He loves the fanboy excitement I send his way. He's pretty well off, but he was mostly pissed they don't even consult with him on his own story and just run with it. The companies don't care though, they think of these guys as sweatshop workers who should accept their few bits and shut their mouths.

Whoa whoa whoa I like superheroes and jedi just fine.

I'm not the one nerding out about the epic storylines and character development in cartoon magazines and their superiority over Hollywood schlock.

Back