• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer thread

THis team needs more than Defoe and Gilardino to be any good this year.

excessively true.... need 4 starters IMO:

RB, CM or Winger(osorio plays the other), Strikers. Only 2 will be filled by DP's the other need to be filled by domestic players or below DP level internationals. If neither DP shows up till august you also need a Striker to line up with Dike.

9gppaI1.gif

MLS side Toronto track Chelsea ace Eto'o and Spurs hitman Defoe

CHELSEA striker Samuel Eto'o has emerged as a target for Major League Soccer outfit Toronto, who are also eyeing Tottenham hitman Jermain Defoe.
The Canadian club - managed by former Spurs, Blackburn and QPR defender Ryan Nelsen - want to make a big splash in the transfer market and sign an experienced goalscorer.

And while 31-year-old Defoe is Nelsen's first-choice for their marquee signing, Toronto are also considering Eto'o, 32.

The Cameroon international is out-of-contract next summer when his one-year deal at Chelsea expires, and is unlikely to be handed fresh terms at Stamford Bridge.

With Toronto offering Defoe £90,000-a-week to swap Spurs for the States, the ambitious American side could have the financial power to lure Eto'o instead.

According to reports, chief executive Tim Leiweke - the man who signed David Beckham at LA Galaxy - is negotiating the transfers.

In 2010, ex-Arsenal and Barcelona striker Thierry Henry headed to America joining New York Red Bulls, and Toronto are hoping to pull of a similar deal with either Eto'o or Defoe.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...rack-Chelsea-ace-Eto-o-and-Spurs-hitman-Defoe

Eto'o was linked to LA when TL was still with them... my guess is it is just a continuation of that.

EDIT * report has already been shot down: tfc contacted him but not interest in coming over to MLS

Last edited:
I would just like to see a competitive team, i dont really care for the names.

I just want to see that crowd go wild again in the supporters section. Best sports fan experience in Toronto i feel.

Agree'd... us supporters are doing everything we can to try and bring back the passion. Need a team that will win to truly get it back to where it should be

THe f*cked up up huge. They had such a good following the first couple years. Its gotten worse every year the last 3. Scared to think how sh*tty a game will be next season if they don't build up any hype.

Well the good part i'm seeing is many of the supporters have let go of some of the bitterness and resentment that was directed at the FO: Bernie is gone(have fun in ottawa), cochrane is gone, and anslemi is gone. The newFO has been very supportive of the supporters groups even small gestures (TL bought all of 127 a beer during the final game of the season). TL has taken the time to meet with everyone and is doing what he thinks is best to move this club forward. Like i said previously... if i can share anything from tomorrow nights meeting i will.

We should have more tools at are disposal next season than before to be able to create the type of atmosphere we want.

Well the good part i'm seeing is many of the supporters have let go of some of the bitterness and resentment that was directed at the FO: Bernie is gone(have fun in ottawa), cochrane is gone, and anslemi is gone. The newFO has been very supportive of the supporters groups even small gestures (TL bought all of 127 a beer during the final game of the season). TL has taken the time to meet with everyone and is doing what he thinks is best to move this club forward. Like i said previously... if i can share anything from tomorrow nights meeting i will.

We should have more tools at are disposal next season than before to be able to create the type of atmosphere we want.

I'll be interested in hearing a report on this.

Well:

No drogba- turned us down
No lampard- no explanation

46 mil budget approved for DP's
Itilians being difficult to deal with(players, agents, teams)

Big enough budget with allocation and salary cap to bring in 4 top quality MLS players.
Have ways of bringing in DP quality talent without paying DP wages on the cap.

Pretty much all I can say

Back