• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer thread

Awful second half, but a nice win to start the year.

With a bit more practise, hopefully we see some of those passes come together. They looked like a team that has never played together in the second. No surprise.

Can't wait for next weeks game.

I know it was only the first game but here is what I saw:

Defoe is going to be great for us and will make the MLS look like a training pitch.

Bradley is arguably the best signing for us and the most important player on this team. He controls the mid great, he moves around the pitch like a mad man.

Our D held it's own great first half but sloppy 2nd. The Sea goal was horrendous from the left back.

Jackson has a rapist touch but he also looks like he can become a decent player. He just wants to do too many different things while the ball is coming to him and then gets stuck.

After Rey got sub after his stupid yellow we lost the mid. Bradley was already gassed and by himself and mid caved.

Glad we pulled out the victory. We really could have had at least another 2 easy goals in the first half but Rey was selfish on one of them. We really need to look into getting one more solid mid to help Bradley out and one solid Def. I can't wait to see Silva up front with Defoe. Most excited I've been while watching a TFC game. Got some great talent on the squad and in time we will figure it out. Sea is a great team so I'm not too worried.

Just got home from toronto where I we had our viewing party at wheat sheaf... 40+ people showed up and it was one of the best afternoons I have had while watching TFC including our own Deckie.

Thoughts:

The good:

-Jermaine Defoe scored 2 goals on his debut. The difference between last year and this year is we have a player who scores those chances where last year Earnshaw would have hoofed it 95 ft wide and the rest of our strikers just wouldn't have made the run
- The midfield was solid and Bradley has one hell of a motor on him.
- Rey was being Rey: one of the best players i have seen with the ball at his feet in this league but he has a tendency to hold the ball longer than he should but i will take the slight negatives for the huge positives he brings.
- Osorio is ready to contribute on a weekly basis and should be looked at as one of the best young canadian players in the world.
- Our D held strong for most of the game and made sure we kept the 3pts in the end.

The Bad:
- People point to Jackson but he is the type of player you get in the league. Very fast and strong but overly aggressive and his touch isn't very good but as long as you don't expect him to carry your team he is serviceable.
- Depth: with Gilberto out and Issey Nakajima-Farran not yet signed our bench was thin. This will be a cause for worry as we probably need 1 or 2 more quality guys to fill out the squad and give us enough depth to survive injuries/suspensions/international duty.

What's Next?

Well Gilberto should be ready for next weekend, Bradley Orr should be ready to start and I'm assuming that Nakajima Farran will be signed by Monday or Tuesday. This should give us both Dero and Nakajima-Farran on the bench which will be massive.
The supporters are all gearing up for the game and the atmosphere should be electric, it's a 430 kickoff and I have to leave Burlington by 930am to help get everything set up with my group.

Anyway Good game, Great result and onto the home opener.

my big problem with Jackson - remembering that this is the only time I've ever seen him - is that he seems to think he's more talented than he is. far too many times he tried a really stupid move instead of dishing it to wide open guys (and to his credit, he does draw defenders to him with his speed which creates those gaps).

my big problem with Jackson - remembering that this is the only time I've ever seen him - is that he seems to think he's more talented than he is. far too many times he tried a really stupid move instead of dishing it to wide open guys (and to his credit, he does draw defenders to him with his speed which creates those gaps).

It's what you get in MLS, i will say his touch was better when i saw him in preseason on grass.

A player like him with touch and higher soccer IQ would likely be in a much higher league.

well, that's fine and all. but if this game was typical of him, and he continually wastes quality possessions like that while simultaneously leaving the entire wing exposed behind him again and again, then they can do better than that.

Back