• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer thread

It would be nice to play one of those "friendlies" with say Liverpool or something and actually beat them.

And not get dominated by their B-team.

Well no Liverpool this year but Spurs will be here this season... I don't like the friendlies but if they help us secure deals then I'm okay with it

First bit of bad news for TFC happened today with Bright Dike going down with a torn Achilles which will leave him out of the 2014 season.

Also sounds like welshmen has been released but nobody will confirm.

Leaves us a little thin upfront but hopefully they can bring in another player to take that 3rd striker role... maybe a Cam Weaver type guy?

For anyone interested i have set up a MLS fantasy league. It is mainly meant for the "Kings in the North" but ill open it up to anyone on here that wants to play.

Its free and on mlssoccer.com league name is: KingsintheNorth127 and the league id is: 461-81

Well i guess another update in here:

Emery Welshmen has been waived by the club... tough for the player and i would have liked to see him loaned out to develop for the year but hopefully he can find a home (maybe ottawa).... thanks (poster on FI) for the inside info yesterday on this one

In bigger news Laba has reportedly been loaned for the year to the Vancouver shitecaps. Hoped they would find a way to keep him but that was unlikely and a move to vancouver makes sense as he can continue to progress towards a green card.

Well i guess another update in here:

Emery Welshmen has been waived by the club... tough for the player and i would have liked to see him loaned out to develop for the year but hopefully he can find a home (maybe ottawa).... thanks (poster on FI) for the inside info yesterday on this one

In bigger news Laba has reportedly been loaned for the year to the Vancouver shitecaps. Hoped they would find a way to keep him but that was unlikely and a move to vancouver makes sense as he can continue to progress towards a green card.

Welshman was always a wasted pick and I really like Laba but he's no Bradley.

Welshman was always a wasted pick and I really like Laba but he's no Bradley.

Never know the allocation we got to move down but Welshmen showed well in the few reserve games I caught, also a year or two in the USL for wilmington may have done him some good.

Laba is a jewel that i hope the whitecaps take care of because he will be a very good top league player some day. Next year we will get him back to compete with Oso and Bradley

I wish we could keep Laba, midfield threesome of Laba and Bradley with Osorio playing above them would be ridiculous.

which is the nice part of the loan move... he will be back for 2015 and be close to a domestic. He will have another year in the league to get used to MLS and NA culture

We'll see.. I hope we do keep him around however unless they keep changing the rules and allowing for more DPs I'm not sure how we can make it work.

He isn't a DP next year... he is a DP right now because of the transfer fee that we paid.

His transfer fee was portioned over the first 2 years of his deal as far as i know. Also with the CBA up at the end of this season we may see some changes to DP rules and salary cap for the next season.

They were attempting to pay down his contract with allocation but couldn't change his DP status thus the loan, I figured it would be the same next year. If we can use our magical allocation money to turn him into a regular international (or domestic if he gets his citizenship) then TFC would have just loopholed the fck out of the league HAHA

Don't need allocation next year... biggest problem this year was the $700,000+ that was considered against the cap thus forcing the DP tag to be used. His salary is listed at 200k(likely higher) but with the 700k+ that is added onto that we simply wouldn't be able to pay it down.

simplest way to put it his cap hit this year was 200k (salary)+700k(1/2 of the transfer fee paid)= 900k and with the max cap hit being roughly 370k we would have needed 530k+ in allocation money to get to that point.

Next year the 700k+ doesn't exist so we will be able to both remove the dp tag and keep the player.

Last edited:
The reporter who wrote the piece on how the DP signings came together reported this morning that Defoe's injury isn't serious and he is being held out so that they don't deliver damaged goods to TFC.

Also Defoe has been named to the England squad for the march 5th friendly.

Back