• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer thread

Thanks for that. The TFC commentators were saying that Bendik has the potential to be one of MLS' top keepers and that he played very well for a lost cause last season.

How good is he between the wickets?

Lots of very good saves but his distribution will keep him from being a top keeper. He has potential to be a top 5 keeper in MLS but don't see much more than that coming from him.

If we get the WC at least we will be in it.

Will the Italians in Toronto boo Canada if we play Italy like they did back in the 1990s during a U16 tournament?

If we get the WC at least we will be in it.

Will the Italians in Toronto boo Canada if we play Italy like they did back in the 1990s during a U16 tournament?

my guess would be yes... Not to generalize but the Italians in canada don't give a **** about soccer in canada or any of the teams here unless it is an Italian community team.

Also WC is a pipe dream IMO... We are turning our national soccer stadium into a CFL stadium because the owners of said CFL team is too cheap to have taken any of the many options they have had over the year to have a stadium.

We would need 8-10 stadiums with a minimum capacity of 40,000.

Stole this from another message board:

The FIFA World Cup requirements are:
- 8-10 cities
- Only one city can have 2 stadiums
- Minimum capacity is 40,000 seats for games.
- The Opening game and Final stadiums to have a net capacity of 80,000
- The semi finals to have 60,000 seats.

So, Canada would need something like this:
1. Toronto - BMO Field (to be approx 35,000 upgraded to 40,000 for WC)
2. Toronto - New NFL team stadium? of about 75,000 + 15,000 additional temp capacity added for WC = 90,000)
3. Montreal - Renovated Olympic Stadium? (65,000)
4. Vancouver - BC Place (54,000)
5. Edmonton - Commonwealth Stadium (56,000)
6. Hamilton - Tim Hortons Field (22,500 upgraded to 40,000 for WC)
7. Ottawa - TD Place/Frank Clair Stadium (24,000 upgraded to 40,000 for WC)
8. Calgary - Upgraded/New Calgary Stadium (35,000 upgraded to 45,000 for WC)
9. Winnipeg - Investor Group Field (33,400 upgraded to 40,000 for WC)

Opening game:
- Montreal - 65,000

Semi Finals:
- BC Place - 54,000
- Montreal - 65,000 (renovated Olympic Stadium)

Final:
- Toronto - 90,000 (new NFL team stadium? of abut 75,000 + 15,000 additional temp capacity added for WC= 90,000)

my guess would be yes... Not to generalize but the Italians in canada don't give a **** about soccer in canada or any of the teams here unless it is an Italian community team.

Also WC is a pipe dream IMO... We are turning our national soccer stadium into a CFL stadium because the owners of said CFL team is too cheap to have taken any of the many options they have had over the year to have a stadium.

We would need 8-10 stadiums with a minimum capacity of 40,000.

Stole this from another message board:

The FIFA World Cup requirements are:
- 8-10 cities
- Only one city can have 2 stadiums
- Minimum capacity is 40,000 seats for games.
- The Opening game and Final stadiums to have a net capacity of 80,000
- The semi finals to have 60,000 seats.

So, Canada would need something like this:
1. Toronto - BMO Field (to be approx 35,000 upgraded to 40,000 for WC)
2. Toronto - New NFL team stadium? of about 75,000 + 15,000 additional temp capacity added for WC = 90,000)
3. Montreal - Renovated Olympic Stadium? (65,000)
4. Vancouver - BC Place (54,000)
5. Edmonton - Commonwealth Stadium (56,000)
6. Hamilton - Tim Hortons Field (22,500 upgraded to 40,000 for WC)
7. Ottawa - TD Place/Frank Clair Stadium (24,000 upgraded to 40,000 for WC)
8. Calgary - Upgraded/New Calgary Stadium (35,000 upgraded to 45,000 for WC)
9. Winnipeg - Investor Group Field (33,400 upgraded to 40,000 for WC)

Opening game:
- Montreal - 65,000

Semi Finals:
- BC Place - 54,000
- Montreal - 65,000 (renovated Olympic Stadium)

Final:
- Toronto - 90,000 (new NFL team stadium? of abut 75,000 + 15,000 additional temp capacity added for WC= 90,000)

*Drool*

[video]http://v.thestar.com/services/player/bcpid2071349530001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAuO4KaJE~,gatFNwS KdGDmDpIYqNJ-fTHn_c4z_LH_&bctid=3102668825001[/video]

The video used to lure Defoe...

Well, with the dead migrant worker scandal emerging from Qatar, FIFA might be looking for a squeaky-clean boy scout to host 2026. (And who knows what kind of goatf*ck Russia 2018 will be - it'll make the security concerns for Sochi look like a garden party.)

My hunch is that it's going to the United States or Australia.

Last edited:
That article highlighting Leiweke’s pursuit of Dafoe and Bradley should be read by Leaf fans. It looks to me like we've finally got our man.

I was left with the impression that, even if MLSE buys the Argos, Leiweke knows better than going back to artificial turf( you just cannot do that now), but I do not believe he will allow TFC fans to have to put up with CFL lines on the field either. Don't know how they work that out, but TFC should be a pretty good TV draw this year what with all the changes, it makes no sense to talk about making the stadium a true soccer stadium, then have those ****ing awful yard-lines all over the nice green field.

That article highlighting Leiweke’s pursuit of Dafoe and Bradley should be read by Leaf fans. It looks to me like we've finally got our man.

I was left with the impression that, even if MLSE buys the Argos, Leiweke knows better than going back to artificial turf( you just cannot do that now), but I do not believe he will allow TFC fans to have to put up with CFL lines on the field either. Don't know how they work that out, but TFC should be a pretty good TV draw this year what with all the changes, it makes no sense to talk about making the stadium a true soccer stadium, then have those ****ing awful yard-lines all over the nice green field.

They are talking about retractable seating for the south end, a new pitch system which is a hybrid grass similar to Arsenal from what I have read, and a paint system that will be able to be taken off post game.

quite a few articles have been written recently about the stadium issue. Here is one of them:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2014/01/28/leiweke_hints_mlse_may_buy_argonauts_with_eyes_on_future_nfl_team.html

Well another world cup player is being linked to TFC.... word out of Brazil (and TL mentioned bringing in a top keeper 2 days ago at a sports conference) is that QPR keeper Juilo Cesar is set to join the Reds on loan. The loan will either run until after the world cup or the entire season, now this isn't a position the Reds need to upgrade but when you are being gifted the chance to bring in a top class player you have to do it.

Well another world cup player is being linked to TFC.... word out of Brazil (and TL mentioned bringing in a top keeper 2 days ago at a sports conference) is that QPR keeper Juilo Cesar is set to join the Reds on loan. The loan will either run until after the world cup or the entire season, now this isn't a position the Reds need to upgrade but when you are being gifted the chance to bring in a top class player you have to do it.

Wow, that would be tremendous. Wasn't he one of the top ten keepers in the world at one point?

Wow, that would be tremendous. Wasn't he one of the top ten keepers in the world at one point?

Yes and still slated to be Brazils starter this world cup i believe. Not getting any time with QPR and they want to get some of his contract off the books, as well he needs playing time before the world cup.

Nothing official

His wages are not "very little money" haha

QPR will still pay his wages... my guess is he will be on TFC's books for less than 100k.

QPR loans him so he can get some games and look good at the world cup.... and then be able to rid themselves of his wages in the summer window

Back