• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer thread

I wouldn't post this one if it wasn't a reputable source but... Bradley from Roma as well as Defoe? only works if laba is bought down to a non DP with allocation or if 4th dp slot is created for a "young DP" which laba would then use

Taylor TwellmanVerified account ‏@TaylorTwellman

Ready for a blockbuster? I'm hearing @torontofc on the verge of signing Michael Bradley. Would be a huge coup for @MLS and @torontofc #USMNT

just an update... espn is reporting it as done.

10 mil transfer, 6.5 mil per season for 5 or 6 years.

Home opener is march 22nd vs DC united (at 1 pm, not on website but available in the account manager area for SSH. Although it wouldn't surprise me if it gets moved to prime time with all the new additions)

Is Bradley thing done? That guy will improve almost any team. He's a solid two way player with really good work ethic. Watched him quite a bit as i follow As Roma games so that could be a big boost to TFC(even though i know very little about that team).

Is Bradley thing done? That guy will improve almost any team. He's a solid two way player with really good work ethic. Watched him quite a bit as i follow As Roma games so that could be a big boost to TFC(even though i know very little about that team).

His agent apparently confirmed the move this morning.

Will actually watch TFC for the first time this season. They deserve extra attention from Toronto's sports fans after the effort they made in the off-season.

Also not the flashy signing but we signed our academy player Jordan Hamilton... also known as the guy who led Canada to the U17 world cup and was our best player during the tournament.

Dero presser today at 1... Defoe will be monday at 3

Who would have thought that this is how you turn a soccer franchise around:

tumblr_mi14v4Gpm11rqkjmno1_500.gif

Well the tims and Nelsen(him being friends with Defoe had to help)

also press conference is at 11am on monday for those interested.

Hosting it at Real Sports so it will likely have a bit of hoopla associated with it as well....

Last edited:
When MLSE wants to throw a party they really will throw a party.... free beer, Raptors tickets, as well as some very good food.

Was lucky enough for them to give us a prime booth for the event from 3-5, overall great day and hopefully one that will change the fortunes of the franchise and league for years to come.

When MLSE wants to throw a party they really will throw a party.... free beer, Raptors tickets, as well as some very good food.

Was lucky enough for them to give us a prime booth for the event from 3-5, overall great day and hopefully one that will change the fortunes of the franchise and league for years to come.

If you were one of the TFC supporters in the crowd at the presser yesterday, trujays, you certainly put on a hell of a show for the new signings. Loved hearing the "Toronto till I die" chant on TV.

If you were one of the TFC supporters in the crowd at the presser yesterday, trujays, you certainly put on a hell of a show for the new signings. Loved hearing the "Toronto till I die" chant on TV.

yes the supporter group which I'm a co-founder of was invited to the press conference and to the event later in the day. We were told that it was a specific request from Tim L to have the supporters at the event and the certainly got what they wanted which was the atmosphere. Renewed sense of optimism has come over the supporters and it is great to see... hopefully we get some wins early and we can sustain the momentum

Based on the current composition of the team's roster and your knowledge of MLS (which certainly dwarfs my own), what are your expectations for the upcoming season?

With Bradley arguably the top centre-mid in MLS and Defoe projected to be a top striker, does the team have the depth to compete? De Rosario coming off the bench should be a nice luxury too.

I've heard numerous positive things about Jackson in the back as well.

Based on the current composition of the team's roster and your knowledge of MLS (which certainly dwarfs my own), what are your expectations for the upcoming season?

With Bradley arguably the top centre-mid in MLS and Defoe projected to be a top striker, does the team have the depth to compete? De Rosario coming off the bench should be a nice luxury too.

I've heard numerous positive things about Jackson in the back as well.

Well i wouldn't really count Jackson as a back... he has played in the back before but has mainly been used in the mid or a deep striker in the past few years. As far as i know Jackson has played CB, RB, AM, CM, wing, and striker in his career but the CB was more as a youth in brazil not much recently.

Defense: We still need a RB upgrade and a better 3rd CB(I think 1 will be coming from Roma because of our developmental deal). But between Caldwell - Henry - Morrow we have the makings of a good MLS defense. From everything I have read Henry has done very well in his training stint with West ham this offseason. Having bloom and Morgan as the backups for the RB and LB is pretty decent depth as well.

Mid: Bradley, Laba, Rey, Jackson, De Rosario, Osorio, Bekker, Hall, Lambn etc is a good group of player but is it still unclear if we will be able to keep Laba for the season (he is on a DP contract but he is the odd man out with Bradley now here). If we can keep Laba and play him with Bradley we will have one of if not the best CM pairings in the league(Laba playing as a DM and Bradley as a Box to Box mid role). The wings should be very good as well depending on how much we can count of DeRo this season, last season Rey was the brightest spot in a dark season to me. The guy simply has skills that i have not seen very often in MLS.

Striker: Defoe, Gilberto, Dike, Weedman, Welshmen with jackson and Dero able to play up top

Very very solid group and i believe that Dike could be one of the best 3rd strikers in the league this season assuming he stays (rumors of a loan or sale to Celtic and QPR have been around all offseason so he can prepare for the WC with Nigeria). The biggest issue we could see with the group is chemistry, Defoe is only coming back March 1st so gives him 2 weeks to train with his new teammates before the season starts.

In terms of your questions: My expectations are Voyagers cup win and playoff birth.

Bradley is almost certainly the top CM in the league and only question will be if NYRB's bring in Xavi mid season. But other than that I take bradley every day of the week and twice on sundays over a guy like Zusi. Defoe might be a more difficult question: his main competition would be Di Vaio, Henry, and would have been Camilo but he is in Mexico. Defoe is younger than both of the guys listed and at this point in their careers I would take Defoe over either of them.

Dero will be starting some games and coming off the bench the others... last year we could bring justin Braun off the bench this year it is Dero, Osorio, Dike etc just a massive upgrade.

Here is what we currently have in terms of a starting lineup:

Bendik
Bloom - Caldwell - Henry - Morrow
Rey - Bradley - Laba - Dero
Defoe
Gilberto

Thanks for that. The TFC commentators were saying that Bendik has the potential to be one of MLS' top keepers and that he played very well for a lost cause last season.

How good is he between the wickets?

Back