• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The M-Fing Food Thread

The dude opened up the chef world to everyone then went on to revolutionize food and travel TV.

He also built up a damn impressive crew of legit badass cool friends (musicians and artists) so he couldn't have been that much of a loser.
 
The dude opened up the chef world to everyone then went on to revolutionize food and travel TV.

He also built up a damn impressive crew of legit badass cool friends (musicians and artists) so he couldn't have been that much of a loser.

I don’t even like the guy but his imprint on food culture is undeniable — basically showed you can find great food in a lot of places, not just hoity-toity, white napkin, expense account restaurants.

Jonathan Gold, Anthony Bourdain and Mario Batali are food media HOFers
 
Also, 50% of the show's appeal is the food, and the other 50% is seeing the places and people he encounters.

I sort of secretly marvel at the simple of life of living in some distant place with beautiful nature surrounding and just cooking up delicious meals all day and sitting outside and staring at a Swiss mountain in the distance while you eat.
Life in the Greek Isles
 
Life in the Greek Isles
I definitely have escape fantasies. When life has a stranglehold on your time, I don't think you can help but dream of running off to find some peace and quiet for a while. Though I know I'd be bored of it relatively quick and right back where I am. Just refreshed. You know, like the way humans take vacations. I should do that at some point.
 
Can someone recommend a good meat slicer under $200?

illo091026_560.jpg
 
Recommendation for chef’s knife? We beat the living shit out of ours (over many years.) Might get a new one.

I've been eyeing either a custom local made (JVB knives, check them out on fb), since he does Damascus stuff, but I've also thought about going with a Canadian made. I've had a Grohmann filet knife before and it was decent. Have debated going with them as well.


 
Recommendation for chef’s knife? We beat the living shit out of ours (over many years.) Might get a new one.

I'm a big believer in going cheap on multi purpose beater knives and esspensive on specialty knives. I went for pricy Japanese stuff (gyuto and a deba) once upon a time but the amount of care to maintain the edge that makes them worth it, just isn't worth it imo. Ended up selling them and keeping the beaters.

best high quality beater chef's knife is the Victorinox fibrox line imo (I have the 10 and 6 inch, both are bullet proof. A few minutes on the stone once every month or two keeps a great edge). 2nd favourite is the Mercer 8 inch. Outstanding beaters.

Both are european style. No such thing as a Japanese beater imo.
 
Back
Top