• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Official Toronto Raptors Thread

Vezenkov was a big euro free agent last year no? Seems like a decent roll of the dice.

I’ve like Mitchell since the draft. Maybe he gets it going here.

Yeah i don't mind this kind of profile to be honest. Big strong euro forward who can really shoot - maybe he's not great but euro MVP says maybe the can hack it.

Our bench has been as for years. A guy like Vezenkov is a good gamble as a rotation piece to improve the bench.

I think Mitchell has some game in him still too.

I guess that takes us out of taking Kolek at 31.

I wonder if we go for a euro stash at 31 or 45. Dzurisic?

C Poeltl / Olynyk
F Boucher / Vezenkov / Nwora
F Barnes / Agbaji / Temple
G Barrett / Dick / Ja'Kobe
G Quickley / Brown / Mitchell

yup - that's what all our "cap savings" are good for under the NBA Cap Structure - pretty much bupkis.

we actually make our cap situation worse by not re-signing our good players, even if they're overpaid.

Such is life in a well run league with the cap going up like mad every year.

We still have space to make good additions though. Is what it is.

I love this deal tbh. Cringed when I thought the 31 was going to be involved. But taking on Davion as a project to create our own version of Dennis Smith Jr, and the nerdies like Vezenkov a fair bit (as in, they consider him an near average NBA player).

Vezenkov is a 1 yr guaranteed + cheap team option. Davion is team option this year and restricted free agent next summer but as a defence only role player, he's never going to cost a lot.

Fwiw, EPM had Davion as an above average defender in his first 2 years and then fell apart last year for whatever reason. Probably a decent bounce back candidate towards being a functional bench defender and backup PG.

Also...and crucially....Jalen McDaniels are entirely booty. Terrible and unplayable.

Both of these cats do things for us immediately. Davion is a probably functioning backup PG who does the tough defensive stuff IQ isn't really the guy for. Like, I don't want IQ chasing Tyrese Maxey or Steph Curry around all night. Davion can do that.

Vezenkov is a euroleague vet who knows how to play and can space/shoot. Both fit into our roster immediately. Davion basically takes over Malachi's role, and Vezenkov does what Darko that Boucher for not being able to do.

This is wizardry. It's one of those weirdo trades that probably never makes much of an impact, but we just got 2 guys who are at least okay back of the rotation bodies, and the 45th overall for one of the worst players in the NBA with a guaranteed contract this year.

C Poeltl / Olynyk
F Barnes / Vezenkov / Boucher
F Barrett / Agbaji
G Dick / Brown / Ja'Kobe
G Quickley / Mitchell

Nothing to make sense of. It's a fantastic deal.

Artboard-3-16.jpg

Back