• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

On the trade front, the Blue Jays are expected to make a push for Chicago Cubs starter Jeff Samardzija and they have inquired about available catcher Ryan Hanigan, whom the Cincinnati Reds are said to be moving slowly on. Like many teams, the Blue Jays are also believed to have kicked around a run at backstop Jason Castro of the Houston Astros, but their GM Jeff Luhnow told MLB.com that, “I really don’t have a lot of interest in exploring” a trade for the all-star.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-exploring-trade-options-before-free-agency/

he has a career .359 obp.

he isn't awful.

in any event, i'd have my sites on conger. if the angels are willing to move him, he's a pretty good guy to take a chance on.

he has a career .359 obp.

he isn't awful.

in any event, i'd have my sites on conger. if the angels are willing to move him, he's a pretty good guy to take a chance on.

he has a negative 14 offensive WAR last year, and about league average D.

He's essentially JPA without power but with OBP....let's aim higher.

ESPN

One of the hottest pitchers on the market this winter may not be on the market after all. Masahiro Tanaka's arrival in the United States is at risk of being put on hold until the 2015 season after baseball officials could not come to a new agreement on the posting process.

It was originally reported that the Japanese players union approved a two-year deal that would continue the practice of major league teams bidding for the right to negotiate with players who want to come over to the United States, but have not yet become free agents with nine years of service time in Japan.

Under that deal, as had been the case in the past, only one team would "win" the chance to negotiate with players like Tanaka, who went 24-0 with Rakuten in 2013. A new wrinkle in this agreement was that major league teams that failed to come to terms with a player for whom they won bidding rights would be fined. This change was just one of the things that did not sit well with major league baseball officials, so at least for now, there is no deal in place.

Tanaka is still pitching with Rakuten in the Asia Series, a tournament of league champions from Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Australia and Europe. That competition will end on November 20, so as long as a new deal is indeed worked out before then, there shouldn't be any problems. However, if a stalemate ensues, Tanaka may still end up coming to the United States in 2014 -- just not until November.

Mike Wilner
#Bluejays give Dan Johnson a minor-league contract with an invite to Spring Training. First baseman, 3 true outcome guy. Solid Plan B. #Jays

Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo 1h
In the previous four free agent off-seasons, 8 players changed teams for contracts greater than $100M. None have a ring

Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi 5m
One possibility for #BlueJays off table. RT @magelb: Source: Phillies have re-signed Carlos Ruiz to a three-year, $26 million contract.

Crap! I was hoping to get him. Do not mind the price either.

The fact the Sox were aggressive on this should tell the world all it needs to know about Saltalamacchia.

Alas, i feel we end up dealing for a "defense first" backstop like Hannigan, Conger or Suzuki....which i'm fine with.

Aside from the fact Pat Tabler and Buck Martinez will constantly refer to him as a "catch and throw guy" and keep telling us that he does the "little things" that " we won't notice on the scoresheet"

6. Jose Bautista, RF, Blue Jays — Rumors that Bautista could be dealt for pitching have persisted for a couple of offseasons but the Blue Jays haven’t wanted to break up the Bautista-Edwin Encarnacion dynamic in the middle of the order. The Jays are desperate for at least two starting pitchers and dealing Bautista may land them one. “It’s a name we’re hearing through backchannels right now, but wouldn’t be surprised if he’s available” said an NL general manager. Bautista was one of Farrell’s personal favorites in Toronto, however it’s doubtful the Blue Jays would deal within the division — even though the Red Sox have extra pitching.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ting-system/U1FrWM12FW8iXfvQ7bThcM/story.html

Back