• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Haren looked done in Washington, and more done in his last LAA deal...big pass.

Kazmir scares me, but i get it as far as interest goes.

I think trade is the one area where there is a legit number 2 out there. Samardzija comes to mind.

Haren had some real nice games in the second half last year.

Keith Law...not a fan of Ruiz

The Philadelphia Phillies have made the first two notable signings of the offseason, and this latest one is even worse than the first. Giving Marlon Byrd a little more than he was worth was bad, but giving Carlos Ruiz, a 34-year-old catcher with platoon problems who's coming off a PED suspension a three-year deal is absolute lunacy.

The deal, with an average annual value of $8.67 million, covers Ruiz's age-35-through-37 seasons, and it's not like his age-34 season was such a rousing success. Right-handed pitchers blew him up in 2013 (.257/.301/.335 line against), and he didn't hit any kind of velocity as his bat had clearly started to slow. He still can do damage against left-handers and is an adequate defender, blocking pitches well and nailing about a quarter of opposing runners, but taking value away with poor pitch framing.

Just 70 catchers have reached 400 plate appearances in a season in which they were 34 or older, and a third of them were worth 1 WAR or less -- and that doesn't even consider catchers who performed so badly they lost their jobs midyear.

The Boston Red Sox and Colorado Rockies were both interested in Ruiz, presumably looking at two-year deals for less money than Phillies GM Ruben Amaro offered him, and now have to look elsewhere for catching.

The Red Sox could turn back to Jarrod Saltalamacchia and are one of the few teams that could afford Brian McCann; the Rockies, looking for a catcher so that they can move Wilin Rosario out from behind the plate, may have to look to the trade market unless they want to roll the dice on Dioner Navarro.

The Phillies, meanwhile, are creating a bigger mess for themselves for 2014 and beyond, and if next season leads to a GM change, it's going to be a long road back for Amaro's successor.

Andrew Stoeten @AndrewStoeten
#bloickbuster RT @JonHeymanCBS: Fielder for Kinsler trade has been agreed to. cbsprt.co/1iw8Bno

wow.

Jon Morosi
Source: Tigers-Rangers trade is agreed upon, and it is Fielder for Kinsler. No other players involved. @JonHeymanCBS was first.

I don't like it for either team....

Can't believe Texas couldn't move Kinsler to CF or something. He's injury prone as hell though. Fielder is going to be an albatross contract in the near future. I guess I like the Tigers side if I was forced to pick.

Back