• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

JIM BOWDEN ‏
Alex Anthopolous won't comment on specifics but they are exploring starters with teams…we have NOT made an offer to anybody regarding a SP

Anthopolous not denying report from Bruce Levine of ESPNchicago that they are working on a deal for Jeff Samardzija deal just no offers yet

Anthopoulos Blue Jays GM "We're going to ear mark most of our money for Starting Pitching" still interested in catching up=grade @BlueJays

Alex Anthopolous Blue Jays GM: "We haven't entertained the idea of trading either Bautista or Encarnacion"

Anthopoulos Blue Jays GM told us they have made calls on all the Free Agent starters including Matt Garza @BlueJays

meh. that's mediocre treadmill stuff.

go big or go home. get samardzijaijaisjisia.

if the team sucks as bad this year, then trade off Bautista/Encarnacion and start over.

J.Samardzija - 28yrs old, 6'5", 225lb, Average fastball velocity was 94.5 last year, 95.0 the year before, both years as a fulltime starter.

Career as Starter: 66gms, 6.3ip/gs, 8.9k/9, 3.3bb/9, 45.7gb%, 13.4hr/fb%, .305babip, 1.32whip, 4.32era, 3.88fip, 3.57xfip
Last Two Years: 61gms, 6.4ip/gs, 9.1k9, 3.1bb/9, 46.6gb%, 13.1hr/fb%, .306babip, 1.29whip, 4.10era, 3.67fip, 3.42xfip, 3.51siera

He's pretty studly across the board, with the only issue for him being his HR rate. Which is a legit concern, especially at Rogers Centre, though Wrigley is a hitters' park as well.

He also seems to have a solid 4-5 pitch arsenal - 4seam FB, 2seamFB, Slider, Cutter, Splitter.

And seems to be as safe a bet healthwise as anyone.

J.Samardzija - 28yrs old, 6'5", 225lb, Average fastball velocity was 94.5 last year, 95.0 the year before, both years as a fulltime starter.

Career as Starter: 66gms, 6.3ip/gs, 8.9k/9, 3.3bb/9, 45.7gb%, 13.4hr/fb%, .305babip, 1.32whip, 4.32era, 3.88fip, 3.57xfip
Last Two Years: 61gms, 6.4ip/gs, 9.1k9, 3.1bb/9, 46.6gb%, 13.1hr/fb%, .306babip, 1.29whip, 4.10era, 3.67fip, 3.42xfip, 3.51siera

He's pretty studly across the board, with the only issue for him being his HR rate. Which is a legit concern, especially at Rogers Centre, though Wrigley is a hitters' park as well.

He also seems to have a solid 4-5 pitch arsenal - 4seam FB, 2seamFB, Slider, Cutter, Splitter.

And seems to be as safe a bet healthwise as anyone.

HOw much does he get though?

9+ K/9, 200+ IP, sub 4.00 FIP

Not remotely mediocre.

To tell you the truth I'm just learning about this guy. I've read a number of different opinions (Blair, Shi, Drunk Jays Fans) and they all seem to be pretty inconsistent. To be fair, most reporters aren't experts, and you're definitely not - so it's good to read a number of reports to base a proper opinion.

I'm just not sure if it's worth emptying whatever is left in the minors for this guy, considering he's 28 years old and has thrown over 200 innings once.

I say sign Garza at 4 years 60-80 million and sign a good catcher. Leave the minor leagues alone at this point.

To tell you the truth I'm just learning about this guy. I've read a number of different opinions (Blair, Shi, Drunk Jays Fans) and they all seem to be pretty inconsistent. To be fair, most reporters aren't experts, and you're definitely not - so it's good to read a number of reports to base a proper opinion.

I'm just not sure if it's worth emptying whatever is left in the minors for this guy, considering he's 28 years old and has thrown over 200 innings once.

I say sign Garza at 4 years 60-80 million and sign a good catcher. Leave the minor leagues alone at this point.

Doesn't take an expert to know that 9+ K/9 and a pile of other solid peripherals isn't "mediocre".

Listen, if you wouldn't make this habit of continually being factually incorrect in your opinions, we would stop having run ins like this where I'm just being kind enough to educate you. I could be a complete douche about it and just let you walk around being wrong the rest of your life, but I'm here to provide a public service.

As for whether it's better to trade for him or sign Garza. Garza has missed a significant amount of starts the last 2 years, has seen his K rate decline, and his fastball, though it hasn't lost much if any velocity over the last few years, was in the negatives for runs above average for the first time in his MLB career. Samardijza is likely to be the much better pitcher over the next few years. I usually love the concept of spending money before signing prospects but Samardijza is the type of guy who lacks the standard statistical track record to demand the type of premium that are on par with what his peripherals suggest is his level of quality. Garza has impending decline written all over him.

Last edited:
Dude had 13 wins and a 3.70 ERA (league average 101 ERA+) in 200 IP last year. You could do worse as a fourth starter. He's clearly not an upgrade on any of the top-end of the rotation though.

Back