• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Ummmmm no.

Honestly...it's not a terrible idea at all. He's an example of a guy who learned how to pitch late in his career. Doesn't miss a lot of bats at all, but pinpoint control, throws a fairly heavy sinking fastball and does an awesome job keeping flyballs in the park (FB/HR of less than 10% over the last 2 seasons.) Extremely durable over the last 2 seasons (340ip..considering his suspension and all).

As for his pitches...his fastball has held steady at ~90mph the last 2 seasons. His FB was way better than it should have been last year (16.6 runs above average...that's ****ing elite), but at worst he'll feature 2 slightly plus pitches (FB, Slider) with another average pitch (change) and almost a hundred years of knowledge throwing them.

I'd much rather throw short term money at him than longer term money at Garza...much, much rather. ****, go get Samardizja and sign Colon

Dickey
Buerhle
Samardizja
Morrow
Colon
Romero
Hutch
Drabek
Happ
Nolin

Surely we can strangle a solid performance from that rotation...right?

Gavin Floyd
Jake Westbrook
Ryan Vogelsong
Barry Zito
Johan Santana
Joe Saunders

Could all be interesting options for number 4/5 SP on 1-2 year deals.

Colon for one, yeah, not committing to anything other than that. Guy is out of shape, on borrowed time and then some already.

For one year, he probably signs for a contender though. The 2nd year is the cost of landing him. Think of it like the Frank Thomas deal again, with likely similar results. But it buys us a year of development for Hutch, Drabek, Stroman, Sanchez, Nolin without clogging up the rotation with any long term money.

You can always cut him in the 2nd year if he falls off, but as M.E. says that 2nd year is what separates us from the bevy of contenders only offering 1 year

Gavin Floyd
Jake Westbrook
Ryan Vogelsong
Barry Zito
Johan Santana
Joe Saunders

Could all be interesting options for number 4/5 SP on 1-2 year deals.

If we're looking at that group, I'd rather ask Doc for his medical records and if his shoulder is fine, take a flier on him. Much better chance, if healthy, of returning to form than any of those.

For one year, he probably signs for a contender though. The 2nd year is the cost of landing him. Think of it like the Frank Thomas deal again, with likely similar results. But it buys us a year of development for Hutch, Drabek, Stroman, Sanchez, Nolin without clogging up the rotation with any long term money.

Hmmmm, yeah, I could be in favour of that. If we get a second year bonus but its really two for one.

You know, at the end of the day, I just want this team to win, so whatever it takes. If Colon is a good short term solution then fine, give him two years to come here.

Back