• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Gotta assume most of the core improves

I don't see it

-Vladdy is the only glaring imo where significant improvement could/should be expected

-Bichette at 3.8 is about right (4-5 WAR seems to be where he is).

-I'm not part of the "Kirk is actually an All Star" faction. He's got 2 months of 200 wRC+ in 2022 and the rest of his career AB's in the 95-105 wRC+ range.

-Springer would be nice to see a bounce back from but it's not like he was unlucky this year, just mediocre. Batted ball stuff shows a steady decline in HR/FB rates for 4-5 years now, and this year he pulled the ball a lot less. Coupled with the age, and his performance against fastballs (he went from 17 runs above average against fastballs in 2022 to 0.2 runs above average this year, it kind of suggests that the bat speed has declined. Maybe he figures out a way around that (wouldn't be the first former all star stick to make an adjustment and remain good into his mid-late 30's). Maybe he's another guy that our all fields hitting approach broke and it's fixable instead of it being bat speed related? Dunno.

- I don't think Varsho is an 85 wRC+ stick, but I'm also not sure he's the best CF in baseball (that both UZR & DRS says he was this year, by a lot). 95-105 wRC+ and even "just" top 5 defensive metrics (like in 2022) as a full time CF next year is an upgrade on this year, but not a huge one.

Not sure who else counts as core....Gausman isn't getting younger and had the most WAR of any starter in the AL this year, we're not getting more out of him. Is Manoah core? Does he ever throw another game for us?

Back