• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Tiedemann should be ready to go next year, if not out of camp then definitely early season. So aside from the big question mark of Alek Manoah, the rotation is pretty much set, though they do need to get a couple of depth guys in AAA because they cannot expect to have this kind of health again next year.

The structure of it looks like this at the moment, minus any wheeling and dealing:

With a few assumptions, mainly that the expensive club/mutual options are getting declined (Whit, Green), and basically none of are UFA's are coming back.

Rotation:

Gausman - 24
Berrios - 17.7
Bassitt - 22
Manoah - ~750K I think
Kikuchi - 10
Tiedmann - ~750K

Total: 75.2

Bullpen

Romano - Arby (4.5 this year)
Garcia - 6
Mayza - Arby (2.1)
Swanson - Arby (1.25)
Cimber - Arby (3.125)
Richards - Arby (1.5)
Cabrera - Arby (.95)

Total: 6M plus a bunch of arby....realistically we're probably somewhere around 25 million for the bullpen as it's listed there.

C - Kirk - Arby (.77)
C - Jansen - Arby (3.5)
1B - Vladdy - Arby (14.5)
2B - Schneider - Pre Arby (.72)
2B - Biggio - Arby - (2.8)
SS - Bichette - 12.1
3B - Espinal - Arby (2.1)
RF - Springer - 24.17
CF - Varsho - Arby (3.05)
LF - XXXXXXXXX

Total: Another more or less unknowable aside from the 36.27 million locked into Bo & Springer. I think that lineup above (minus a LF) is in the 75 million dollar range. Throw ~15 million at a starting LF and you're at 90 million on that, and 190 overall (200+ for your full 40 man) with some really obvious holes and issues.

Soto for Vlad would have been an interesting old timey challenge trade after 2021, but it was and is outside of this administration’s range.

I think all the scenarios Jonas is proposing are sadly realistic. They’re losing 4 starters and are going to replace them with kids and scrub FA. Soler seems almost too perfect.

Tiedemann is the one guy I wouldn’t trade. Yes, he might flame out, but he has genuine star upside and they need to have rotation pieces that aren’t $20M/yr long term contract mid-rotation starters (everyone except Gausman… for now). He’s also MLB-ready. Too much chance of that turning out be like the Moreno trade where he’s already the best player in the deal in year 1. And anyway they’d never trade for a Soto type, they would go after a more middling youngish guy with upside and years of control.

Yeah, Shatkins should definitely keep Tiedemann.

Not because there isn't a trade out there that would make sense for a club trying to win, but more than Shatkins approach to that trade would 100% fuck it up and Tiedemann would almost definitely cause us to lose the deal hilariously as our new controlled and cheap position player put up 2.8 WAR for the next 5 years while Tiedemann turns into a front of the rotation monsters.

The structure of it looks like this at the moment, minus any wheeling and dealing:

With a few assumptions, mainly that the expensive club/mutual options are getting declined (Whit, Green), and basically none of are UFA's are coming back.

Rotation:

Gausman - 24
Berrios - 17.7
Bassitt - 22
Manoah - ~750K I think
Kikuchi - 10
Tiedmann - ~750K

Total: 75.2

Bullpen

Romano - Arby (4.5 this year)
Garcia - 6
Mayza - Arby (2.1)
Swanson - Arby (1.25)
Cimber - Arby (3.125)
Richards - Arby (1.5)
Cabrera - Arby (.95)

Total: 6M plus a bunch of arby....realistically we're probably somewhere around 25 million for the bullpen as it's listed there.

C - Kirk - Arby (.77)
C - Jansen - Arby (3.5)
1B - Vladdy - Arby (14.5)
2B - Schneider - Pre Arby (.72)
2B - Biggio - Arby - (2.8)
SS - Bichette - 12.1
3B - Espinal - Arby (2.1)
RF - Springer - 24.17
CF - Varsho - Arby (3.05)
LF - XXXXXXXXX

Total: Another more or less unknowable aside from the 36.27 million locked into Bo & Springer. I think that lineup above (minus a LF) is in the 75 million dollar range. Throw ~15 million at a starting LF and you're at 90 million on that, and 190 overall (200+ for your full 40 man) with some really obvious holes and issues.
They have a $9M option on Green as well.

I also think the $75M figure for the lineup post-arbitration is in the low range.

I don’t see them fielding a team at under $200M without moving some money out. And of course the luxury tax numbers are even higher because of some backloading.

They have a $9M option on Green as well.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if they exercised it though given the financial position the rest of the roster is.

I also think the $75M figure for the lineup post-arbitration is in the low range.

Agreed, I was trying to not be too negative.

I don’t see them fielding a team at under $200M without moving some money out. And of course the luxury tax numbers are even higher because of some backloading.

Yeah, I think they're kind of done before they start this winter unless they go ham and do shit like move Springer, Bassitt, or Vladdy.

Yeah seems easy to save money by droppong cimber and espinal. Maybe biggio too. Replace those guys with the schneiders clements horwitz set.

No no better to spread the money around mid tier. Because that’s been clearly working.

Heads have to roll. It seems like Atkins is on the hot seat. That presser had him looking more finicky than we’ve seen since being hired. Too bad Roger’s are dog shit owners.

I expect nothing to change. Moved around the edges along the lines of what Jonas said. Waste another year. Rinse repeat.

The market for 3B and LF is pretty gross.

Im open, i suppose to Rodon and a RHH platoon partner, maybe Harrison Bader as you can never have enough LF defence or backup CF

I'd be intrigued in trying to fix Jesse Winker and i'd be super interested in Jung-Hoo Li out of Korea

For 3B, Chapman, and Candelario are probably too expensive, risky and good for this front office.

You could trade for the reasonably priced Drury, or give a 1 year deal to Turner or Longoria i guess, or try to tell everyone BIggio can do it everyday. Gio Urshela? Mike Moustakas? Lets get goofy bad

Back