• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

But....and hear me out.

What is the point of trading a 4-7 WAR player for another 4-7 WAR player? (yes, I'm aware Vladdy hasn't been that in a minute, but the ability is obviously there, his MVP contension season was not a fluke). You win by getting more of those guys, not by swapping deck chairs around. Imo the philosophical problem with the Shatkins era is that they massively undervalue high level players in their primes, but are incredibly happy spending 10+ million on 1-2 war bench body/fringe starters or getting bargains on star level performers in their twilight years. Your system should be producing Merrifield's, Kikuchi's, etc by the boat load, you should never be paying for them in this fucky MLB salary structure. The payroll money should be thrown at star level performers, they make everyone around them better.

Go get Alonso too, we need a DH. I mean, if we're spending 251 million, let's spend it on things that might hit 50 HR at the dome in a season.

This is what I'm saying philosophically....get more impact things. Nobody is going to be able to convince me that we can't fit a murderers row with a solid starting staff into a 250 million dollar budget.

I dont disagree with any of this, but im trying to live in a Shapiro based reality.

I can see a world where they trust a Soto extension more than a Vlad one, and make that deal, then find it easier to find a 1B replacement.

They aren't going to go Scrooge McFuck and buy the league.

but im trying to live in a Shapiro based reality.

There is no winning in a Shapiro based reality.

They aren't going to go Scrooge McFuck and buy the league.

I mean, they just did but they spent ~100 million on a pile of 30+ yr olds that generated not a single 3+ WAR performance.

It's a matter of spending priorities. Shapiro clearly believes that the way to win is through spending on past prime Ryu's, Bassitt, Merrifield's, Belt's, etc. And that isn't to say that you can't get good performances out of that type of guy, but that can't be the backbone of your team.

These guys are more of a clown show than even I expected them to be.

Good luck filling roster spots this winter you fucking muppets.
This point should not be ignored.

These guys have done a decent job signing free agents since getting here, but Whit has critcized this move on the way out, all of the team claimed to be surprised. What are FA going to think of these idiots?

Just spitballing FA options

I think 2B is def internal with Biggio/Schneider, and i guess that's fine

3B could be Barger or Orelvis, which is gross, could be a short term FA like Turner or Longoria, which, gross-ish, or a trade for a Brandon Drury type which, sigh.

DH is where you probably get the big bat. Soler/JDM/Garver are all FA and shouldnt be stupid expensive

LF could be Alan Rodon, or FA like Joc/Lourdes/Teo

Basically, fuck.

This point should not be ignored.

These guys have done a decent job signing free agents since getting here, but Whit has critcized this move on the way out, all of the team claimed to be surprised. What are FA going to think of these idiots?

Chapman shredded the coaching staff earlier in the year, Whit did his thing, and the mediots close to the team have been saying for a long time that the locker room atmosphere is pretty junk with a lot of unhappy players.

I know that I'm generally doom and gloom with this admin, so take this for what it's worth but with no playoff revenue to offset the 343 million canadian dollars they just spent on payroll (and the 300 millie in renovations they're most of the way through spending since 2022), there's a very real risk of Rogers setting their 40 man payroll in the 200-210 range next year (down from 251) and telling Shapiro to make due.

Between the locker room shit and just not having a lot of money to spend, I'm expecting kids and cheap misfit toys to plug the gaps left by the free agents on their way out.

Chapman shredded the coaching staff earlier in the year, Whit did his thing, and the mediots close to the team have been saying for a long time that the locker room atmosphere is pretty junk with a lot of unhappy players.

I know that I'm generally doom and gloom with this admin, so take this for what it's worth but with no playoff revenue to offset the 343 million canadian dollars they just spent on payroll (and the 300 millie in renovations they're most of the way through spending since 2022), there's a very real risk of Rogers setting their 40 man payroll in the 200-210 range next year (down from 251) and telling Shapiro to make due.

Between the locker room shit and just not having a lot of money to spend, I'm expecting kids and cheap misfit toys to plug the gaps left by the free agents on their way out.
Im basically expecting the same.

2 kids to fill 2 of the hole, or maybe even Cavan Biggio as an everyday player hype

a DH type making 10-15M, that might land you a JD Martinez, Jorge Soler, Joc Pederson sort

and either a cheap vet on his last legs wanting to play cheap, like Longoria or Justin Turner, or a hilarious overpay for a controlled/cheap option like Brandon Drury

I guess it's possible they bring Ryu back cheap and deal a SP, but fuck me, Gausman you cant move, Bassitt and Berrios money probably limits the kind of bat you get, dealing Manoah seems very dumb (making this possible) and i dont think you get much for Kikuchi considering the FA class for SP is kinda strong.

And when discussing why the payroll is lowered we'll hear that the value wasn't right in the FA market, they like what they have internally and wanted to save money to fill needs at the trade deadline

Im basically expecting the same.

2 kids to fill 2 of the hole, or maybe even Cavan Biggio as an everyday player hype

a DH type making 10-15M, that might land you a JD Martinez, Jorge Soler, Joc Pederson sort

and either a cheap vet on his last legs wanting to play cheap, like Longoria or Justin Turner, or a hilarious overpay for a controlled/cheap option like Brandon Drury

I guess it's possible they bring Ryu back cheap and deal a SP, but fuck me, Gausman you cant move, Bassitt and Berrios money probably limits the kind of bat you get, dealing Manoah seems very dumb (making this possible) and i dont think you get much for Kikuchi considering the FA class for SP is kinda strong.

And when discussing why the payroll is lowered we'll hear that the value wasn't right in the FA market, they like what they have internally and wanted to save money to fill needs at the trade deadline
Yeah, next year is really going to come down to whether the guys we expected to do well this year can rebound. If Vlad and Kirk can be 4-5 war guys, Manoah can get back to a legit top rotation arm, etc... the team should be competitive again. But if we get another down year from these guys or like a long injury to Gausman or Romano or someone, or Varsho fails in Cf, etc... could be a long season

Back