• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Remember when Mark Shapiro gave Anthropoulos shit for trading those REALLY horrible prospects in return for 1st playoffs in 22 years and ALCS appearance? His buddy traded Moreno LOL.

Remember when Mark Shapiro gave Anthropoulos shit for trading those REALLY horrible prospects in return for 1st playoffs in 22 years and ALCS appearance? His buddy traded Moreno LOL.

and AA gave up those lesser prospects for a Cy Young winner and a perennial all star shortstop.

The prospects traded at that deadline:

Hoffman - Considered a boom/bust starting prospect with elite stuff. Was hot garbage until this year he had a breakout 30yr old season as an elite reliever

Miguel Castro - Turned into a decent enough middle of the bullpen guy

Jesus Tinoco. - A few cups of coffee in the bigs, looks toast at 28

Norris - 5 WAR over his career, but never became more than a back of the rotation starter. Showed some flashes of upside as a reliever, but is 30 and barely hanging onto MLB jobs at this point

Boyd - Let this be a lesson. Easily the worst thought of pitching prospect involved in any of these deals turned out the most valuable. 10 career WAR, still kicking at 32 as an okay starter. Looked like a really nice #3-4 starter for a few years before arm issues derailed him, because pitching is unnatural to the human body

Jairo Labourt - If you've seen this man, report his whereabouts to his family. No one has seen him in MLB since 2018.

Brentz - Finally made MLB as a 27 yr old and then blew out his arm

Nick Wells - last seen posting a 6+ ERA as a 25 yr old in AAA a few years ago

Rob Rasmussen - I made him up. Or did I? That you don't know and don't care says everything.

Jimmy Cordero:

1698264112645.png

Career 0.9 WAR reliever. Yeah, no thanks.

Albert Tirado: Barely made it past A+

I get that on the macro it looked like AA traded every pitching prospect in the entire fucking organization at the deadline because he basically did. But it was clearly the right decision then and now. Matt Boyd would have been nice to keep around and all (shit, Shatkins would have happily thrown 20 million at him if he was 33 yrs old putting up 3 WAR) but hardly the type of player you trade away for all stars and then sweat over.

AA also held extremely pitching-heavy drafts for exactly this reason: because pitching prospects have trade value even though they rarely pan out. Syndergaard was obviously his big miss. Should have kept that guy.

Otherwise, AA was (and is) well ahead of the game in exploiting market inefficiency. Shapiro and Atkins are playing at least 5 years behind the pack. Oh, defence is good? Let’s trade everything for it. Billy Beane had that figured out in the late 00s, when everybody was trying to copy moneyball 1.0, and Shapiro was being mercifully shunted out of baseball ops in Cleveland.

When Moreno wins World Series MVP ownership should storm down to Shapiros office and let him and every single one of his minions go.

Dog shit management. I don’t give a shit about renovations to a stadium. Won’t get a cent from me until these goofs are out.

Back