• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

you can hope

I'm pretty comfy that the former #1 prospect in baseball who looked like a star in the playoffs as a rookie after a good 2nd half is a pretty good hitter.

Dunno what his top end is and how much power will actually show up consistently, but his bat to ball is good enough to be average plus at minimum imo

105wrc+ this year
105wrc+ career
101wrc+ playoffs

Yup, but also

141 wRC+ in the 2nd half last year, and his BB/K ratio has gone 1-1 this year. Big increase in BB rate, big drop in K rate. He's made big adjustments somewhere and it isn't coming out in contact of quality yet, but all of his contact rates are up. I think the playoff .203 ISO is probably on the high side of his potential, but everything else is primed for him to be a well above average stick.

Yup, but also

141 wRC+ in the 2nd half last year, and his BB/K ratio has gone 1-1 this year. Big increase in BB rate, big drop in K rate. He's made big adjustments somewhere and it isn't coming out in contact of quality yet, but all of his contact rates are up. I think the playoff .203 ISO is probably on the high side of his potential, but everything else is primed for him to be a well above average stick.
Yeah, I don’t think Moreno is going to maintain a 13% BB rate or a 12% K rate, but if he does, then he’s Joe Mauer with better defence. Incidentally, Mauer didn’t appear to have any power until his 5th year in the majors either. Moreno flashed power in A and AA and again in the second half last year. It’s there.

Realistically, Moreno’s BB rate will fall, K rate will go up but BABIP will climb too and he’ll probably end the season at 110+ wrc+ (fangraphs projects 116) which is fantastic for a 24 year old premium defensive C.

A weird guy to try to dunk on and in fact the initial post already looks a bit silly — Moreno went from 90 yesterday to 105 wrc+ today in a game where he had two AB.

Ages 22-24

Guerrero 2086pa, 139wrc+
Bichette 1515pa, 125wrc+
Biggio 430pa, 115wrc+
Kirk 1152pa, 113wrc+
Moreno 570pa, 105wrc+

So Moreno is Kirk with a league average bat?

Actually Kirk is better with the glove.

Varsho: 1.5 fWARv (116 wRC+)
Jansen: 1.1 fWAR
Moreno: 0.8 fWAR (105 wRC+)
LGR: 0.5 fWAR (88 wRC+)
Kirk: 0.4 fWAR (59 wRC+)

Moreno + LGR = 1.3 fWAR
Varsho: 1.5 fWAR

Kirk 25 yrs, Moreno 24 yrs

Back