• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

So the Kikuchi deal is obviously fantastic, and IMO they did really well on Yimi, Jansen and the other as well.

My one concern is that they use the MLB ready nature of the Houston package and try to spin "competing" next year, all while not going full into competing.

This team needs to pick one of two lanes,

extend Vlad, and reset with most of this group ( im not convinced Bo needs to be a part of it) and target at least one legit FA/trade, have legit competition for Bloss, Clase, Loperfido, Horwitz to make the roster.

extend Vlad and reset for 25/26 and sell anything not nailed down. Gausman/Berrios/Bassitt/Bichette etc and use your new system to see what you can turn into MLB talent from your bevvy of Buffalo kids.

What i fear they will do, is what this FO is famous for, and try to thread the needle and be in the middle. Like, there is no reason to keep Green/IKF even if you want to pretend compete, simply replace them in free agency. I fear they let Vlad enter his walk year, and either trade him at next year's deadline getting way less, or even letting him test FA.

These fuckers invented 42 years of control, and sweet spot of shared risk. Nothing in their DNA suggests a Vlad extension, which makes any notable FA a non starter and we are probably dipping into the mid 30's guy on a 2 year deal tier or reclaimation project. They tried the same shit with the last 2 years of Donaldson and got jack shit for him.

They need to make an actual decision and go for it

Will Wagner is too old to be much of a prospect (turned 26 yesterday), but I like his hitting profile quite a bit. Career .400 OBP in the minors, not much pop but not a total slap hitter. Solid contact rate, BB% hasn’t dropped as he’s moved up levels. Could be a solid utility guy for a few years.

I feel like Wagner and Loperfido alone are the kind of return these guys would have targeted in the past. Getting a solid prospect back as well is a real bonus. Good work. Now sell more.

Trade Bassit now. He’d be the best starter on the market (not as good as Flaherty this year, but more consistent). And a year of control left. Should be able to get a top prospect or two for him. They can replace his innings in FA.

Will Wagner is too old to be much of a prospect (turned 26 yesterday), but I like his hitting profile quite a bit. Career .400 OBP in the minors, not much pop but not a total slap hitter. Solid contact rate, BB% hasn’t dropped as he’s moved up levels. Could be a solid utility guy for a few years.

I feel like Wagner and Loperfido alone are the kind of return these guys would have targeted in the past. Getting a solid prospect back as well is a real bonus. Good work. Now sell more.
The hope is these players combined with some combo of Schneider, Clement , Barger etc... can provide the cheap depth so they dont spend 10 mil on KK types. Get the same production at a fraction of the cost

These guys have done a very good job on the returns for the guys they have traded but there is really no excuse for not cashing in on Green, Bassitt and IKF. You can use that 37M on the FA market if you still sim to pretend to win. Green especially at 10m is inexcusable

Yeah, with all the buyers out there, dump them all, and regroup in the off-season. I mean, odds are you're not getting another Bassitt at his pricetag, but if you get enough prospects, maybe you can swing a trade for a rental. Or even just bring in someone who can eat innings, and if things go south, deal them off at the deadline next year. That's more valuable long-term than the "safe" Bassitt (same for Green)

based on the value they got for free agents this year not sure they're in a rush to get rid of guys with control.

Back