• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

based on the value they got for free agents this year not sure they're in a rush to get rid of guys with control.
Why not though? No guarantees at all there will be another sellers market like this next year, or that the FA market will be anything near this competitive. This admin misreads the market almost every year. Here’s a chance to make up for that a little bit.

Also all of their guys with control are on the downside, who knows how good they’ll be next year. Gausman will be 34. Bassit 36. Green 34. And IKF is having a career year by a huge margin. There’s a lot of downside in keeping any of them beyond today. Their contributions this year are meaningless, and next year probably a drop off.

Jay Harry has been at age appropriate levels, had a huge year last year out of the draft, and a mediocre but not awful this year. I assume he can't stick at SS but if he has any defense this is another guy worth keeping an eye on.

yet again, far more than i thought they'd be able to get for a Richards.

Green and IKF are no doubt who they should move. IKF will never have more value. Green probably won’t stay healthy long enough to trade next season so his value is likely higher than it will be. Why would you hold onto a 34 year old reliever when you aren’t competing?

Applies to Gausman and Bassit too tbh.

Why not though? No guarantees at all there will be another sellers market like this next year, or that the FA market will be anything near this competitive. This admin misreads the market almost every year. Here’s a chance to make up for that a little bit.

Also all of their guys with control are on the downside, who knows how good they’ll be next year. Gausman will be 34. Bassit 36. Green 34. And IKF is having a career year by a huge margin. There’s a lot of downside in keeping any of them beyond today. Their contributions this year are meaningless, and next year probably a drop off.

the extra years on their deals might not even be a positive for a bunch of teams right now. No real reason to think they're worth a lot more this year than next.

And they can re-run this roster with a couple additions and feel as good heading into next season as they did this year i think.

Harry seems like a complete random chance he might turn into something, but Richards is a reliever with a 4.64 era so you can't expect anything.

I think it's okay to not go wild. Like I wouldn't deal Gausman or Berrios I think. Bassit only has the one year left, I am OK keeping him, but seeing the returns on these other arms, man, I would think about it. He's not much different from Rogers, other than obviously a big price tag. I'd certainly be very tempted to get something back for him, especially if that shores up other holes on the future rosters.

If they don’t extend Vlad, they’ll lose this fan base completely and so will Rogers. Just extend him already and trade Bo for another star or a good shortstop and top prospect, he’s bolting the first chance he gets.

the extra years on their deals might not even be a positive for a bunch of teams right now. No real reason to think they're worth a lot more this year than next.

And they can re-run this roster with a couple additions and feel as good heading into next season as they did this year i think.
Yeah, this. I'm not opposed to moving these guys for a killer return, but you can't gut the team, especially if you want to compete next year. By the trade deadline next year you can obviously use them if in contention or trade them then.

Good points. I guess the guys who moved with term didn’t get much more, or maybe even less.

Still very hopeful a new GM takes over this fall. And I suppose I’d rather that person be the one to make decisions on Gausman and Bassit and whether they’re going to push for a wildcard in 2025 or retool a bit and make a more substantial push in another year or two.

Back