• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

On the Fangraphs trade deadline series, Bichette was in roughly the same category as Arozarena. I feel like if the team dealt him for a similar return to that... people would really hate that. I think he's not worth enough at this point to get a true top prospect, so the only thing you end up doing by trading him away is saving some money.

That's not to say I want to sign him long-term, but at this point, I almost feel you hope that he's back to what he was last year, in which case you either benefit from that, or his trade value might be higher at the deadline than in the off-season. And if it's not, the risk even if he has a bad year in putting out a qualifying offer is pretty minimal even if he gets hurt again or you don't get any decent offers at the deadline.

I wonder if one option might be to give him the Semien try right before free agency? Sign Adames in the off-season, move Bichette to 2b or 3b next year, and hope that he can learn it in Spring and become a valuable player there. It'd be a risk, but you get a more stable SS and maybe he will adapt well to the new spot.
If i am Bo, i am causing a hissyfit if they try to move me off SS a year out of FA.

I think the most likely scenario is they have a price, someone meets it in the offseason and we net a quantity over quality package with maybe one interesting top 100 name and a couple overagers the team were dealing with is cool moving for 25 man reasons. This FO loves MLB ready high floor, no ceiling garbage. If it's not met, they try to "compete" and hope a resurgent year boosts his value at the deadline ( honestly, not the worst strategy all things considered), and still try to sign an Adames/Bregman sort.

What BS. Only one team won the Ohtani sweepstakes. Many of the teams that didn’t get Ohtani managed to do quite well regardless

If your winning strategy consists of winning the lottery, time to admit you suck at your job

Me not winning Lotto Max last Friday has really forced me to stay the course on my Plan B

Eh, the gap between 700 million on Ohtani vs an aggressive off season of trades and signings to improve the known problems with the team from last year isn't the same difference as it is between winning lotto max and spending the week taking a few scalps on your trading app.

Ohtani, 5.8 WAR - 70M a year

or Chapman (4.0 for 18), Teo (2.6 for 23.6) , Burnes (3.0 for 15.6), & Martinez (1.2 for 9M)

The 2nd would have been a pretty, pretty good plan B.

To sum up what he's saying

- Didn't get Ohtani
- Front office had no plan B (pivot) after missing out on Ohtani
- Need to have 3-4 "superstars"
- Vladdy has no protection
- Pitching needed to be better

I heard his “Didn’t get Ohtani” as an excuse. Ultimately not getting him was the most likely scenario (BY A LOT)…so from my perch shouldn’t even be part of the conversation

There weren't a lot of great options in FA, though. Remember when the Jays were idiots and losers for not signing these guys?

(I know a lot of this was Jonas analysis, but still.)

That being said, while it may not have mattered anyway because they had so many poor performances and injuries this year, they absolutely should've tried harder to sign Teoscar Hernandez and/or Matt Chapman.

There weren't a lot of great options in FA, though. Remember when the Jays were idiots and losers for not signing these guys?

(I know a lot of this was Jonas analysis, but still.)

It's easy to criticise things people say when their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd preferred options are gone.

If you want my receipts, on Dec 16 I wanted Chapman, Teo for LF , and JD Martinez to replace Belt. Chapman is Chapman, Teo's 129 wRC+ & JD's 123 would have looked pretty, pretty good on this anemic lineup.

Back