• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Vacations

It sucks. This would normally be a great time to travel. I can buy puts anywhere.
It's seriously so fucking tempting to visit some of the world's most interesting places basically crowd-free. I had Italy planned this year but that shit isn't happening anymore even though I know it'll be better by the time I planned on going. I'll just assume the worst and hope for the best for any other potential destinations.

It's seriously so fucking tempting to visit some of the world's most interesting places basically crowd-free. I had Italy planned this year but that shit isn't happening anymore even though I know it'll be better by the time I planned on going. I'll just assume the worst and hope for the best for any other potential destinations.

Just ask Teeds for the vaccine and go man. Enjoy!

You're the one the CC churns aren't you? Don't those awards have a shelf life of a year only?

Unless....I start touching my face non stop, get the virus, cough for two weeks, recover, and visit Italy and Korea and other places that will be done with that shit by then.

Last edited:
You're the one the CC churns aren't you? Don't those awards have a shelf life of a year only?
Nope. I sell most of the points anyway though I'd imagine there's less of a demand for those too now. I just have about $5000 worth of hotel points lined up right now to go unused (between Marriott, hotels.com gift cards and best western points). After another year of churning and no vacations I'll be approaching 10k....

I have a crap ton of miles on several different plans from American Airlines to United To Marriott and then over a million Amex points. Was going to use them this year then COVID-19 said pause. I was planning to take the extended family on a cruise. That's not happening now. I could maybe invite the ones I dislike and not show up... hmmmm.

Preston, what's your latest game? I'm not that aggressive but finished AMEX edge, picked up Cobalt and now padding my Alaska.

Preston, what's your latest game? I'm not that aggressive but finished AMEX edge, picked up Cobalt and now padding my Alaska.
Since the demon child came in my life I've been passive but I went on a huge spree in the few months prior.

RBC avion is a play that I make often. I hold two right now, Mrs. Preston holds 1. This is after I've churned that card several times over.. it's an easy one that you can rotate every three or six months. I redeem Hotels.com gift cards with that card. There used to be great promos for discounts on hotels.com cards a few times a year but the last one was only 5% off. Might be the new norm. I've accumulated about $2000 worth after using another few thousand on other trips over the years.

Have the TD Aeroplan right now. Otherwise it's the old reliable amex train for Mrs. Preston and I. Six months on, six months off. I sell all Aeroplan points to travel agents for about 1.1 cents a point US. Used to be a lot more but it is what it is. Better than nothing. I sell in batches when I get about 3-4k worth. Between Mrs. Preston and I it's good for about 10k a year, minus annual fees and shit of course. But there has been a gradual decline in that number every year since I started seven or so years ago. Oh well.

Edge is a great one. I don't love the cobalt just because of the constant maintenance required to hit min spend every month. I've actually never had that card yet.

Reactions: CH1
And I no longer find the marriott cards all that worthwhile. Points keep devaluing and it's not really worth the annual fee for me anymore. I have a large backlog that I'll burn through eventually but every year they're worth less and less so I better hurry.

And I no longer find the marriott cards all that worthwhile. Points keep devaluing and it's not really worth the annual fee for me anymore. I have a large backlog that I'll burn through eventually but every year they're worth less and less so I better hurry.

Good to know

If you're ever interested in selling the points let me know and I'll put you in touch with my people.

Oh god I sound like teeds now

Will do. In accumulation mode but will need to devise a spending strategy soon.

Will do. In accumulation mode but will need to devise a spending strategy soon.
It's not something often publicly shared online (much like manufactured spending) just because it's against the terms to sell the points. But there are a lot of people out there buying so I doubt there's a lack of sellers. Seven years later and I haven't been blackballed so I don't think it's too risky to do at this point.

Question — you ever tempted to keep points and go on a mini RTW?

Selling off your points? How does that work? Or is that a Canadian Card thing?
Travel agents buy them and use your account to book flights for customers, at least for Aeroplan - I don't know how it works for other points. I sell to agents based in the US and they buy everything.

Again if you want a contact I'll pm you if you want to at least ask questions and see what you can get. It was sketchy for me at first but it's legit

Sure. I just know they don't allow that here, doesn't mean it doesn't happen I suppose.

Back