• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: What are you Watching/Listening/Drinking?

I would say I t’s definitely for people into Jazz (me bigtime), and for audiophiles (me sorta) or hardcore music nerds (not me)…

apparently theyre the go to band for people testing out high end audio equipment, in part because the production is so good and they put so much emphasis on each instrument….but also because for many of their albums they bring in the best session musicians they can get, then have them all play the part they’re looking for, all day….(kinda Kubrick/Fincher-esque…if they also had a new actor try the part every day)…..so that they get the perfect distillation of their version of what they view the song to be.

so when listening on high end speakers or headphones, they’re the gold standard (apparently) because of how clean and crisp and separated each instrument is…..but then they also do funky stuff like instrument A on left channel, instrument A’s reverb on right channel, instrument B on right channel, then instrument B’s reverb on the left channel…..plus there’s just tons always going on sonically.

Here’s a Pitchfork 10/10 album review for Aja that gets into what hear in them….

…and on the flip side, Anthony Fantano finds them “fine” and a little yacht rockish, and sometimes sounds like elevator music.

So it’s def not for everyone.

Oh….and the song “Hey Nineteen” is apparently audio engineers favourite track for testing out a system….

I wasn't overly impressed with what I've heard from Steely Dan (which, in fairness, is very little). Tried to give the Aja album a shot a couple of times but it just felt a little too jazzy and boring for me. But I acknowledge I didn't give it enough of a chance.

I just added it to my phone last week planning to give it another spin, and I definitely haven't given these guys enough of a deep dive. So I will definitely give that album and a few of their other songs a good long listen this month.

I didn't really care much for them other than a couple of songs when I was younger but my musical tastes have mutated over the years. Still don't listen to a lot of Steely Dan but I have a much greater appreciation of them.

Some stuff that I used to like and listen to a lot now barely gets any play and some just gets a WTF was I listening to that for?

yeah Steely Dan is of interest to me mostly for their level of recording(ie for audiophile purposes)

another album like that is Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, a standby for testing speakers

Radiohead is also very good for this purpose

Here is an example of Taylor Swift's power.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to the Edmonton Elks game (they finally won a home game) and there were perhaps 20,000 fans in attendance.

Tomorrow the Elks will be hosting the Stampeders and the team is running a contest where one lucky fan wins a trip to Paris to see Taylor Swift in concert. Unlike 50/50 draws where you can buy online and win whether you attend the game or not, this contest requires that you HAVE to be in the stadium to qualify.

As a result, the Elks are expecting a crowd in excess of 30,000 tomorrow. That's over 10,000 more fans than their last game and most of them have probably never even thought about football before. They just heard the siren call of the Swiftees and they flocked to Ticketmaster.

Back