• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Patrik Laine

My immediate reaction was "what for"? After reading the comments here, my reaction has been upgraded to "I suppose". I don't have a lot of faith in this player, one way or the other. Or excitement either.
These are the kinds of calculated gambles I like. Like Monahan, Newhook, Dach, Methason. Low risk, high reward. All it takes is for at least one of them to turn into a home-run. IMO, Mony has already considering we essentially got two 1st rounders for him. Laine only has 2 years left, and by then, we'll also be free of some existing albatross contracts, giving us lots of flexibility to add pieces to a then (hopefully) playoff bound team.

My immediate reaction was "what for"? After reading the comments here, my reaction has been upgraded to "I suppose". I don't have a lot of faith in this player, one way or the other. Or excitement either.
I would have been fine trading Harris for a 2nd round pick, and we got Laine for free, He's a top line talent, although not a perfect player, like most goal scorers it seems.

If they would have given up a real asset I would have felt the same.

But a big goal scoring winger is exciting. Does he pan out? Who knows but Habs have to take some risks because they are not drafting a bedard or McDavid

If they would have given up a real asset I would have felt the same.

But a big goal scoring winger is exciting. Does he pan out? Who knows but Habs have to take some risks because they are not drafting a bedard or McDavid
And let's face it, Harris is never going to be anything more than he is now: a 3rd pairing defenseman on a mediocre team. And we have defensemen in the pipeline who are all at least as good if not better than Harris, to boot. So this was the closest you can get to getting something for nothing.

And let's face it, Harris is never going to be anything more than he is now: a 3rd pairing defenseman on a mediocre team. And we have defensemen in the pipeline who are all at least as good if not better than Harris, to boot. So this was the closest you can get to getting something for nothing.
Just commenting on excitement for Laine.

This is my reaction as well. I'm not a fan of Patrik Laine, but I'm not going to be a hypocrite: This is the exact type of trade I've been begging management to do for years, ie using our cap space to take on a bad contract and receiving compensation for taking said contract.

No offense to Jordan Harris & those who like him, but he's a fringe NHLer who didn't have a future here. He's this year's Joel Edmundsson. There wasn't a spot for him in the lineup and he probably would have ended up on waivers eventually.

Now, we have to hope Laine gets his shit together. Fingers crossed.

Back