• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Playoffs 2022

If Tampa Bay wins the Cup this season, Pat Maroon will become the most unlikely player to ever win four straight Cups.

#showerthoughts
Rick Chartraw is probably more unlikely. He also won a 5th Cup with the Oilers in the 80’s. I know that’s long before your time but Maroon is a much better player than was Chartraw.

There was a time when we thought Gilbert and Paul Dipietro would have long careers in Montreal. Neither lasted long in the league. But they contributed to a Cup winner, so they get my lifelong respect as players.

Another legendary top-10 Habs draft pick
It’s incredible how many bad first round picks they made in the 70’s . . . but still eon 4 Cups. I guess drafting Lafleur, Robinson, Gainey and even Tremblay in the first round made for it. But by the early 80’s it caught up with them.

I don't know the Florida team very well. But based on what I've heard and the regular season record, I assumed they were pretty good. Watching a bit of the game today, and it seems to me they have gone flatter than we did last year in the finals. Tampa gathering steam.....
They're a good regular season team that turns into a fraud as soon as the games begin to matter.

Just like the Leafs. Frauds.

There was a time when we thought Gilbert and Paul Dipietro would have long careers in Montreal. Neither lasted long in the league. But they contributed to a Cup winner, so they get my lifelong respect as players.
As should Dave Maley, Randy Bucyk and Steve Rooney who all saw playoff action during the 86 Cup run.

It’s incredible how many bad first round picks they made in the 70’s . . . but still eon 4 Cups. I guess drafting Lafleur, Robinson, Gainey and even Tremblay in the first round made for it. But by the early 80’s it caught up with them.
Many of those years we didn’t miss on much, but imagine had we drafted Trottier, Bossy and Savard.

Last edited:
He was the main piece in the Doug Gilmour deal coming the other way from the Leafs to Calgary. Then disappeared. Only to resurface for one bright moment in the sun.

Rick Chartraw is probably more unlikely. He also won a 5th Cup with the Oilers in the 80’s. I know that’s long before your time but Maroon is a much better player than was Chartraw.
It's not so much the quality of the player than it is the likeliness of it happening.

In the 70s/80s, dynasties were relatively common. These days, if you have a team that wins back-to-back championships, there are already whispers of a dynasty. If you were a depth player like Chartraw was and you just so happen to be on the Habs/Islanders/Oilers, you just got a lucky roll of the dice. These days, however, with back to back Stanley Cup champions happening once every 10 or so years at most, winning consecutive Cups is a hell of a feat.

Pat Marroon was a guy that wasn't exactly in high demand when he went to St. Louis, wasn't in high demand when he went to Tampa. And yet he might win his fourth in a row. Pretty incredible.

So the Oilers are making Hey while the sun shines (and pissing off a lot of people in the process)

They're charging people $100 just to watch the game in a big screen TV in the lobby. You still pay $14 for a beer and $6 for a bottle of water, and the lineup for the can is just as long as in the arena itself.

Oh and you have to wear Oilers merch or they send you home.

So the Oilers are making Hey while the sun shines (and pissing off a lot of people in the process)

They're charging people $100 just to watch the game in a big screen TV in the lobby. You still pay $14 for a beer and $6 for a bottle of water, and the lineup for the can is just as long as in the arena itself.

480F18BE-CE6A-4838-A324-268636D10D30.jpeg

probably packed so they cant be too upset

Back