• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumors: 2024-25 Season

If you have an auction then teams with the most money can always outbid the ones that have less. Or would this auction be working within the existing cap system?
Nobody's talking about removing or altering the cap.

Just let the players, like any other line of work, choose where they want to earn a living.

My idea has always been: Every team should have a specific amount of money allotted to the "auction" (for lack of a better word) that they can spend however they want. If they want to spend the minimum on the maximum amount of players, go for it. If they want to spend all of it on a single player, go for it.

I've always found it pretty ridiculous that players on ELC contracts are forced to play well beneath their production. Everyone knew McDavid was going to be great, the ELC money was ridiculous. But if McDavid 2.0 was available this year, and the maximum amount every team had was (for example) $10M? Let McDavid 2.0 choose where he wants to play if the money is identical instead of being forced to go somewhere undesirable.

Nobody's talking about removing or altering the cap.

Just let the players, like any other line of work, choose where they want to earn a living.

My idea has always been: Every team should have a specific amount of money allotted to the "auction" (for lack of a better word) that they can spend however they want. If they want to spend the minimum on the maximum amount of players, go for it. If they want to spend all of it on a single player, go for it.

I've always found it pretty ridiculous that players on ELC contracts are forced to play well beneath their production. Everyone knew McDavid was going to be great, the ELC money was ridiculous. But if McDavid 2.0 was available this year, and the maximum amount every team had was (for example) $10M? Let McDavid 2.0 choose where he wants to play if the money is identical instead of being forced to go somewhere undesirable.
That’s an interesting idea.

FWIW - Melnick on TSN690 said Hughes likely won’t talk today “he’s working on a deal.. it may go into tomorrow”

Back