• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumors: 2024-25 Season

I didn't realize McGroarty is an elite prospect. And I think you're undervaluing our assets. Especially, Barron. Polarizing player, but I personally see a lot of promise for this 22 year old RD. Plus a 1st next year? And are we completely writing off Mesar? He's not a prospect anymore having only turned 20 in January? Plus what may be a high pick next year? McGroarty was a 14OA pick in a relatively weak draft. And lots of players both above and below him have already played and/or are playing in the NHL. But I admit I don't know how good McGraorty is or if he's elevated his value in the NCAA that much.
Seriously? Mesar, Harris and a late first? I do that all day long.

I don't disagree with quality bests quantity...to a point. For me it comes down to how is McGroarty seen value-wise today. 'Cause the way I look at it is, maybe we can draft a McGroarty with that CGY pick and still have those other assets in our back pocket. Again, is McGroarty that good that he is worth a recent former 1st, a new 1st and a young RD with some real skill to work off. It's not like we're offering old crap with no upside. But if McGroarty is THAT highly thought of a prospect, ok, I guess. We drafted likely better prospect in the 2nd round in the same draft.
I think he can be a top 6 winger, and would be a perfect complement to this forward group with his size, skills and physicality.

No, you're overvaluing our assets.

Mesar's a longshot to even play a single game in the NHL. There are tons and tons of players like him that are unimpressive in the Junior ranks and I don't expect him to be one of the rare exceptions that is better at the pro level than the Junior level. I've given up on Mesar because there's been no growth. He's pretty much the same player today as he was when he was drafted.

Harris & Barron: This is the Nathan Beaulieu effect where "potential" is synonymous with excuse making. "Well he's young." "Well he's got upside" "Well he's got this." "Well he's got that." At a certain point, a player is who he is. They're both players in their early 20s and haven't been able to stay in the lineup on one of the worst defenses in the NHL. In a year from now, both of them might be out of a job organically. On the left side: Matheson, Guhle, Xhekaj, are all ahead of Harris. Hutson's unproven but will be ahead of Harris in no time. Struble's going to fight for his roster spot, too. Engstrom's going to be pushing too. On the right side, Savard's the only natural RHD ahead of Barron, but Guhle's been playing on the right for lack of options and a year from now, Reinbacher & Mailloux might be NHLers and might have surpassed Barron.

And next year's first from Florida/Calgary? The probabilities are a pick in the 20s. Assuming we keep it & select a player à la Michael Hage, the probabilities that it's a top-6 player are low and even if he turns out to be a top-6 player, it's going to take 3-4 years for the player to establish himself.

At a certain point, you need to cut bait and sacrifice some players that you have an abundance of when you're looking to strengthen a position of weakness.

I'm of the belief Rutger McGroarty is a second line winger with a bit of edge to his game. At worse, I think he turns into a third line grinder that can possibly get 35-40 points... which would still make him the best asset in the trade.

What I would do? Mailloux or Hutson, Winnipeg's choice, and the Calgary/Florida first for McGroarty.

I like how you said "hopefuls". Because that describes the middle of the first round players correctly.

However, at 20 years old, I have much more information and a grasp on McGroarty than I do Michael Hage or whoever that 17 year old kid who's going to be select in a year. We're all hoping Hage is going to be good next year at Michigan, but the truth is we don't know. I know McGroarty's good at Michigan for two straight seasons and based on his body of work, he's probably close to being ready to play in the NHL.

But you can keep that extra first round pick and choose a player you can be "hopeful" that he turns out to be good, and be "hopeful" that he'll be ready to be in the NHL three years after.

The decision is very easy to me. I'll always trade quantity for quality.

Also, don't care that Mailloux's a former first round pick. Mesar's a former first round pick and a year younger, he's not worth anything to anyone.

I'm not sure the kind of prospect McGroarty is. But trading a 1st (and Habsy for all we know it ends up being 11th pick next year and a slim chance it bumps to an unprotected CGY pick in 2026), 2, 22 and younger prospects, one being highly valued RD...that's essentially 3 first round picks for Rutger McGroarty. A player who's never played a pro minute, isn't exactly an upper-echelon prospect, now shows a prima-donna attitude on top of it all. If this rumor is true, which I doubt from a Habs perspective, then I'm glad Hughes didn't sweeten that pot beyond that. Unless I'm missing something about how elite Rutger Fn McGroarty is. Seems like a mid-high level prospect from what I can tell. Nazar has already beat him to the NHL as have others. And he sounds like a total goof if it's true his demand was top-6 minutes or else trade me.

Also, don't care that Mailloux's a former first round pick. Mesar's a former first round pick and a year younger, he's not worth anything to anyone.

me neither
but I do care that we have more info on both Mesar and Mailloux now... and Mailloux is still very much worthy of being a mid to late first rounder

You're kidding, right? We're talking about potential here. They're all prospects. And Mailloux has already proven more than McGroarty. And actually, so has Hutson. And can you really say they don't have EACH as much upside as McGroarty? Since when has McGroarty turned into such a huge prize? The kid is a good prospect. Not a great one. Again, we could pick a similar prospect with the pick next year, and keep Mesar and Barron etc. Here are the WJC from this year. I don't see any world this kid is worth that many assets. This offer wasn't Halak, Ryder and a 2nd. It was essentially 3 firsts as they're all still very young and developing. Anyway, I agree to disagree.

1720751142887.png

I'm not sure the kind of prospect McGroarty is. But trading a 1st (and Habsy for all we know it ends up being 11th pick next year and a slim chance it bumps to an unprotected CGY pick in 2026), 2, 22 and younger prospects, one being highly valued RD...that's essentially 3 first round picks for Rutger McGroarty. A player who's never played a pro minute, isn't exactly an upper-echelon prospect, now shows a prima-donna attitude on top of it all. If this rumor is true, which I doubt from a Habs perspective, then I'm glad Hughes didn't sweeten that pot beyond that. Unless I'm missing something about how elite Rutger Fn McGroarty is. Seems like a mid-high level prospect from what I can tell. Nazar has already beat him to the NHL as have others. And he sounds like a total goof if it's true his demand was top-6 minutes or else trade me.
Craig Button said Minny had a deal w Jets - McGroarty for 13OA pick in the draft + prospect contingent on what was available at Minny pick.

GM Guerin pulled out of the deal when he was able to make the deal w Philly to move up a spot to pick Buium

Teams need players like McGroarty to win hockey championships - they win ballerina recitals with players of the ilk of Barron & Mesar

Craig Button said Minny had a deal w Jets - McGroarty for 13OA pick in the draft + prospect contingent on what was available at Minny pick.

GM Guerin pulled out of the deal when he was able to make the deal w Philly to move up a spot to pick Buium

Teams need players like McGroarty to win hockey championships - they win ballerina recitals with players of the ilk of Barron & Mesar

that's reasonable...mid round pick + prospect for a guy you can plug in right away

Ggpx is giving up one too many assets...do that enough times and you end up talent poor

The plot thickens, lol. Scuttlebutt apparently from a WPG reporter. Might be total bullshit. But there seems to be a lot of smoke around this kid making all these demands. I hope it's untrue. But if it is. NO THANK YOU.

Back