• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumors: 2024-25 Season

Demanding to be on the PP makes it look like BS.

I'm inclined to believe some/most of it because that was also reported elsewhere.

TL;dr

He has no problem (unlike many NHLers) playing in Winnipeg
He has a very specific timeline on his development. Jets didn't promise him a top 6 role right away. He thinks he's earned it.

That sense of entitlement is worrying, tbh. It would bother a tiny bit it was coming from a guy like Conor Bedard but holy shit, this guy is a potential good 2nd liner that wants that role on a good team right away.

The plot thickens, lol. Scuttlebutt apparently from a WPG reporter. Might be total bullshit. But there seems to be a lot of smoke around this kid making all these demands. I hope it's untrue. But if it is. NO THANK YOU.

That article is so bad it gave me diarrhea

I'm inclined to believe some/most of it because that was also reported elsewhere.

TL;dr

He has no problem (unlike many NHLers) playing in Winnipeg
He has a very specific timeline on his development. Jets didn't promise him a top 6 role right away. He thinks he's earned it.

That sense of entitlement is worrying, tbh. It would bother a tiny bit it was coming from a guy like Conor Bedard but holy shit, this guy is a potential good 2nd liner that wants that role on a good team right away.
It’s simply NCAA leverage position at play and I expect much more of it will start showing as more players are drafted from US system - players now realizing being an NCAA draftee provides negotiation power

Also, need to keep in mind there’s likely external influences at play - McGroarty’s old man career ECHLer Jimmy McGroarty, like PLD & Cutter Gauthier’s fathers both career ECHL / AHLers…they’ve been around the game a long time, have friends and understand how short a career can be, and likely pumped a lot of $$ towards getting their boys to get drafted in 1st round of NHL

Should point out fathers are all “good Canadian hockey players” born & raised …

Last edited:
It’s simply NCAA leverage position at play and I expect much more of it will start showing.

Also, need to keep in mind there’s likely external influences at play - McGroarty’s old man career ECHLer Jimmy McGroarty, like PLD & Cutter Gauthier’s fathers both career ECHL / AHLers…

Yeah I thought of Paul Marner but your examples are better…. I still think this particular sense of entitlement is the exception

Yeah I thought of Paul Marner but your examples are better…. I still think this particular sense of entitlement is the exception
Paul Marner was a wealthy man, contrast to McGroarty, PLD or Gauthier’s fathers all came from modest earnings

You're kidding, right? We're talking about potential here. They're all prospects. And Mailloux has already proven more than McGroarty. And actually, so has Hutson. And can you really say they don't have EACH as much upside as McGroarty? Since when has McGroarty turned into such a huge prize? The kid is a good prospect. Not a great one. Again, we could pick a similar prospect with the pick next year, and keep Mesar and Barron etc. Here are the WJC from this year. I don't see any world this kid is worth that many assets. This offer wasn't Halak, Ryder and a 2nd. It was essentially 3 firsts as they're all still very young and developing. Anyway, I agree to disagree.

View attachment 21184
I can't say Mailloux & Hutson don't have less upside than McGroarty. However, I am skeptical those two - especially Hutson - will be as good as McGroarty in the NHL. Nobody's calling McGroarty an elite prospect, and if he was an elite prospect, he would have been signed to an ELC a year ago & already be playing in the NHL.

Lose me with the "look at these WJC stats" nonsense. It's a short tournament with players that rarely played together. Those stats told you that Ryan Poehling was better than Nick Suzuki and that Alexander Romanov was better than Quinn Hughes, Noah Dobson, K'Andre Miller & Evan Bouchard because he had a better tournament than them. They are meaningless. On that list, though, there only 4 players I would definitely take before McGroarty without any hesitation. Celebrini, Gauthier, Smith & Perreault. Maybe Snuggerud as well.

Again, nobody cares that Mesar & Barron were former first round picks. That label will only get them extra opportunities that a later round draft pick wouldn't. Every time a prospect under-performs, it's always "just wait", "we'll see", "he can improve" - Sorry, this isn't true. You can rule out prospects relatively early without much concern. Riley Kidney & Sean Farrell have only played one year of pro hockey, but they're no longer NHL prospects anymore. They're going to be passed up on the depth chart by the newest crop of players. Same thing with William Trudeau.

While I don't think Barron's a bum, I've lost all hope that he'll become a top-4 d-man in the NHL. If he's not able to establish himself as an every day NHLer in his third pro year and he's still getting healthy scratched & sent to the minors from time to time? The ceiling's there and he's about close to touching it.

This is the same reasoning that comes up every single time a notable player and/or prospect is potentially available. When Jack Eichel was available, no, we can't give up a former first round pick, a top prospect & a roster player, it's too much! Think Vegas regrets trading all those spare parts for him?

Last edited:
It’s simply NCAA leverage position at play and I expect much more of it will start showing as more players are drafted from US system - players now realizing being an NCAA draftee provides negotiation power

Also, need to keep in mind there’s likely external influences at play - McGroarty’s old man career ECHLer Jimmy McGroarty, like PLD & Cutter Gauthier’s fathers both career ECHL / AHLers…they’ve been around the game a long time, have friends and understand how short a career can be, and likely pumped a lot of $$ towards getting their boys to get drafted in 1st round of NHL

Should point out fathers are all “good Canadian hockey players” born & raised …
ELC cap means that's not quite it.

My understanding why McGroarty wanted out of Winnipeg was:

-He wanted to go pro and play in the NHL at the end of the season, the same way every other prospect from the NCAA does. This is not an exclusive thing for him & his ego.
-Winnipeg didn't want to sign him for the end of the year because they weren't going to play him, as Rick Bowness was focused on winning & making the playoffs. They wanted to sign him for next year.
-That soured the relationship between him & the team, because instead of having two years on his ELC, he still has three. If he's still going to have three years, then he'll go back to college and sign at the end of next year... unless he gets traded.

I can't say Mailloux & Hutson don't have less upside than McGroarty. However, I am skeptical those two - especially Hutson - will be as good as McGroarty in the NHL. Nobody's calling McGroarty an elite prospect, and if he was an elite prospect, he would have been signed to an ELC a year & playing in the NHL.

Lose me with the "look at these WJC stats" nonsense. It's a short tournament with players that rarely played together. Those stats told you that Ryan Poehling was better than Nick Suzuki and that Alexander Romanov was better than Quinn Hughes, Noah Dobson, K'Andre Miller & Evan Bouchard because he had a better tournament than them. They are meaningless. On that list, though, there only 4 players I would definitely take before McGroarty without any hesitation. Celebrini, Gauthier, Smith & Perreault. Maybe Snuggerud as well.

Again, nobody cares that Mesar & Barron were former first round picks. That label will only get them extra opportunities that a later round draft pick wouldn't. Every time a prospect under-performs, it's always "just wait", "we'll see", "he can improve" - Sorry, this isn't true. You can rule out prospects relatively early without much concern. Riley Kidney & Sean Farrell have only played one year of pro hockey, but they're no longer NHL prospects anymore. They're going to be passed up on the depth chart by the newest crop of players. Same thing with William Trudeau.

While I don't think Barron's a bum, I've lost all hope that he'll become a top-4 d-man in the NHL. If he's not able to establish himself as an every day NHLer in his third pro year and he's still getting healthy scratched & sent to the minors from time to time? The ceiling's there and he's about close to touching it.

This is the same reasoning that comes up every single time a notable player and/or prospect is potentially available. When Jack Eichel was available, no, we can't give up a former first round pick, a top prospect & a roster player, it's too much! Think Vegas regrets trading all those spare parts for him?
Problem is, we don't have many good samples to properly assess a kid that's only played in college. No AHL, no NHL. I also don't put a ton of weight into WJC and such. So I hear ya. But again, this is actually the only comparable we have with him versus players mostly vying for the same NHL glory that he is. And looks like Mesar did well on a very bad Slovak team. And McGroarty sure didn't seem to knock it out of the park. Also didn't really get off on him mocking the Swedes and their fans at the end. TBH.

I guess what I'm going to reiterate is, I don't see how we can let go 1st rounders and/or prospects ranging from Hutson/Mailioux to Mesar and Barron (2-3 of any of those combined) for a player who appears to have only a 2nd liner ceiling. Now, if we were talking someone like Zegras, that's a different story. But we're not. Seems like we'd be trading a lot of potential, some with decent NHL experience, for magic beans with an attitude. Why not just draft a player with that 1st pick that fits McGroarty's profile. I'm sure there will be several 2nd line ceiling guys that aren't elite in any particular way, but are purported to have great on-ice grit and KaRaKtEr.

I think Barron will be fine. We seem to be in a hurry to make decent players out of 21-22 year olds. I have a feeling he'll have a breakout season this year. And we can't compare the Eichel situation. Eichel was and is an elite player. The hesitation with him for fans was that neck issue and the fact he missed so much time. That could've been a career ending injury. LV rolled the dice (pun intended} and didn't come up snake-eyes.

I’m not trading Hutson for McGroarty, no way. Mailloux maybe, but I’m hesitant.

If the rumors of those playing time demands are true, that’s a bit of a turn off. He’s not that level of prospect who can demand it.

But asking specifically for PP time when they have people like Connor and Scheifele seems too clueless. Doesn’t seem like it should be a credible report, but one never knows…

If the rumors of those playing time demands are true, that’s a bit of a turn off. He’s not that level of prospect who can demand it.
I'm going to say that

1) all rumors are overblown

2) those demands are a negotiating ploy.

Nobody gets themselves blackballed before the starting gate opens

I'm going to say that

1) all rumors are overblown

2) those demands are a negotiating ploy.

Nobody gets themselves blackballed before the starting gate opens
I take all rumors with a spoonful of salt, but that’s a weird negotiation tactic if true, probably to force being traded.

Simply put nobody is caving into Peg`s asking price

So either kiss and make up , get what you can , or accept whatever lowball offer you get from Hugo

I take all rumors with a spoonful of salt, but that’s a weird negotiation tactic if true, probably to force being traded.
And if he's not traded he'll go back to college. They're playing hardball with Chevy but it'll bite them in the end.

Also, teams aren't allowed to negotiate with McGroarty so these rumors are coming out of the Jets organization.

And if he's not traded he'll go back to college. They're playing hardball with Chevy but it'll bite them in the end.

Also, teams aren't allowed to negotiate with McGroarty so these rumors are coming out of the Jets organization.
Why cant teams negotiate ?

I can't say Mailloux & Hutson don't have less upside than McGroarty. However, I am skeptical those two - especially Hutson - will be as good as McGroarty in the NHL. Nobody's calling McGroarty an elite prospect, and if he was an elite prospect, he would have been signed to an ELC a year ago & already be playing in the NHL.

You lost the plot when you’re comparing Jack Eichel to McGroarty.

Snuggerud is a beast , Blues got a steal

Back