• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumors: 2024-25 Season

2 decades of bandaids and some want a quick turn around .....not happenning

After the 2024 season , the regime will have a better idea of the next steps

Still have 2/3 of this roster to purge
I’m prepared to tank for Cole Eiserman in ‘24.

Complementary piece is a little strong, but I understand what you mean.

PLD, like Suzuki, is a ~60pt center and a #2 on a championship caliber team. They're not the same type of player, obviously, but they slot in at about the same place.

I would not trade the Florida pick for someone like him at this point in his career. He's turning 25 in June, and will probably get an 8 year deal when he's 26, which will bring him until he's 34, at around a similar number that Suzuki got.

The contract he's going to get, because we all know he's going to get a big deal, scares me way more than the assets we'd have to give up to get him.

Bad contracts will fuck your team much more quickly, and for a much longer time, than bad draft picks.

I’m prepared to tank for Cole Eiserman in ‘24.
Cole Eiserman in 2024, Michael misa (and D'Aigle) in 2025, Gavin McKenna in 2026.

2025 is looking less interesting than the probable #1 picks in 2024 and 2026, but maybe someone will stand out in the next season.

Last edited:
why do you want to keep missing the post season? do you want to end up like Buffalo who "might" make it next season?

Fans might accept another bad year next year but the natives will be restless come October 2024 if we have no shot at making them again
Again, your fixation on making the playoffs is perplexing. WTF is the point of making the playoffs if you have no chance to win anything except via a miracle of.some.soet? Playoffs that don't culminate in championships are a pointless exercise. And no 15th or 16th seed is going to win a Cup.

No shortcuts. Suck and tank for as long as it takes.

You know, trading Florida's first for PLD reeks of Buffalo trading their first for Robin Lehner nearly a decade ago when they thought they were close.

You can't rush this shit. Rushing this shit is what will keep this organization spinning their wheels.

Yeah, it sucks, yeah it's fucking boring, but you can't skip steps out of impatience. This team is nowhere near close to enough to start thinking about contending or making real playoff pushes.

There needs to be a young core of players in their early 20s and they need to grow & improve together. There needs to be constant replenishing of draft picks and young players added to the mix.

There also needs to be financial flexibility, especially in the modern NHL with this cursed cap.

I would trade Florida's first for Lafrenière. He's 21, needs a new contract but won't cost you an arm & leg, and I still think he has real potential.

Again, your fixation on making the playoffs is perplexing. WTF is the point of making the playoffs if you have no chance to win anything except via a miracle of.some.soet? Playoffs that don't culminate in championships are a pointless exercise. And no 15th or 16th seed is going to win a Cup.

No shortcuts. Suck and tank for as long as it takes.
you couldn't handle 10 yrs out of the playoffs, don't lie

and if enjoying watching my team in the post season makes me a bad person, then guilty as charged. The post season without us sucks ass more than Dylan Mulvaney

I would trade Florida's first for Lafrenière. He's 21, needs a new contract but won't cost you an arm & leg, and I still think he has real potential.

I’m more convinced of this approach (and I have gnawing doubts about PLD.)

But NYR could easily tell us to go pound sand. There needs to be, what, 3 or 4 options to consider?

You know, trading Florida's first for PLD reeks of Buffalo trading their first for Robin Lehner nearly a decade ago when they thought they were close.

You can't rush this shit. Rushing this shit is what will keep this organization spinning their wheels.

Yeah, it sucks, yeah it's fucking boring, but you can't skip steps out of impatience. This team is nowhere near close to enough to start thinking about contending or making real playoff pushes.

There needs to be a young core of players in their early 20s and they need to grow & improve together. There needs to be constant replenishing of draft picks and young players added to the mix.

There also needs to be financial flexibility, especially in the modern NHL with this cursed cap.

I know you can’t rush it, that’s why I said it’s an organic process . . . unless you’re the Rangers.

But NYR could easily tell us to go pound sand. There needs to be, what, 3 or 4 options to consider?
If NYR don't even consider trading Lafrenière, then yeah it's a moot point.

Why I think it's possible from New York's point of view:

1- They've already got $73.38M in contracts allocated for next year's team, with 10 forwards signed, 5 d-men and 2 goalie (Louis Domingue's a journeyman / AHLer, so they might sign an upgrade & send him to the minors). The Cap next year is supposed to be around $83.5M next year. So a hair over $10M for 3 forwards and 2-dmen.

2- Among their notable free agents, they have Kane, Tarasenko, Lafrenière and Miller. I think they would love to re-sign all four, but unless Tarasenko & Kane decide to re-sign there for pennies on the dollar like Bergeron/Krejci did in Bawstun, I don't think it's realistic. If they let Kane & Tarasenko walk, the cap crunch becomes a lot easier. I think it's all but guaranteed Kane will sign there, contract $ to be determined. K'Andre Miller's not going to be signed for cheap, and if I'm his agent I point towards Travis Sanheim's contract (8 years, $50M or $6.25M AAV) as the starting point. Maybe NYR would try to convince him to take a bridge contract, but if I'm his agent, I squash that notion before it even starts.

3- NYR's contract situation is tough for them. The easiest contracts they have to move (Lindgren, Chytil, Kakko) are the ones they would be crazy to trade, and the ones that would be the most obvious to trade (Zibanejad 7 years @ $8.5M, Coleman 4 years @ 3.64M, Trotchek 6 years @ 5.625M, Panarin 3 years @ $11.64M) due to the players' age are going to be extremely difficult to do because teams don't just have cap space laying around. Not to mention New York would be demanding real assets in return, such as picks and prospects, which are worth their weight in gold.

4- While Lafrenière didn't blow the world up, and expectations might have been a little too high for him, he might demand more money than the NYR would be willing to pay. Kakko, for example, with slightly inferior production in his first three seasons, signed a 2 year, $2.1M AAV contract. I'm not sure Lafrenière would settle for that, and would instead point to someone like Kirby Dach, who got 4 years @ $3.5M AAV.

Maybe it's all pie in the sky, but Lafrenière's the guy I'd go for before everyone else.

Other candidates would need to be 21/22/23 with high upside, on teams that are at (or near) the cap limit. Pavel Dorofeyev in Las Vegas, Shane Pinto in Ottawa are some names. There's Zegras & Drysdale in Anaheim, but they have so much cap space available that it's not even worth discussing, they'll be getting re-signed there.

And if I can't get a player with that criteria? I'll just use the pick and see if I can get a defenseman like Sandin Pellikka or Reinbacher at 17th.

He's a former first and there's PR ramifications. They won't trade him yet. They'd ask for our first pick plus so pass.

Complementary piece is a little strong, but I understand what you mean.

PLD, like Suzuki, is a ~60pt center and a #2 on a championship caliber team. They're not the same type of player, obviously, but they slot in at about the same place.

I would not trade the Florida pick for someone like him at this point in his career. He's turning 25 in June, and will probably get an 8 year deal when he's 26, which will bring him until he's 34, at around a similar number that Suzuki got.

The contract he's going to get, because we all know he's going to get a big deal, scares me way more than the assets we'd have to give up to get him.

Bad contracts will fuck your team much more quickly, and for a much longer time, than bad draft picks.
Exactamundo , wrong player for the wrong team at the wrong time

This is the player that makes sense for Jersey , up and coming and close to contender

Studs in Hughes and Hamilton , plus 2 more upcoming in Hughes and Nemec plus other good young roster talent

you couldn't handle 10 yrs out of the playoffs, don't lie

and if enjoying watching my team in the post season makes me a bad person, then guilty as charged. The post season without us sucks ass more than Dylan Mulvaney
10 years without a Cup is, for me, just as bad as 10 years without playoffs. And I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times in the last 30 years when I had any optimism that the Habs stood a chance to win anything once they got to the playoffs.

I also learned, over that 3 decade span, that making the playoffs and even pursuing the playoffs was a contributing factor in the drought. It was mortgaging the future for a small amount of unsustainable success in the short term.

I don't want to be a mediocre team for 10 years, I want to be a team that is building something and not having the process continually sidetracked in a futile mission to make the 8th seed. I don't care about having a mere playoff team, I want a team that can win Cups. If it can't, then making the playoffs is useless.

Back