• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumors: 2024-25 Season

You know, trading Florida's first for PLD reeks of Buffalo trading their first for Robin Lehner nearly a decade ago when they thought they were close.

You can't rush this shit. Rushing this shit is what will keep this organization spinning their wheels.

Yeah, it sucks, yeah it's fucking boring, but you can't skip steps out of impatience. This team is nowhere near close to enough to start thinking about contending or making real playoff pushes.

There needs to be a young core of players in their early 20s and they need to grow & improve together. There needs to be constant replenishing of draft picks and young players added to the mix.

There also needs to be financial flexibility, especially in the modern NHL with this cursed cap.

I would trade Florida's first for Lafrenière. He's 21, needs a new contract but won't cost you an arm & leg, and I still think he has real potential.
PLD isn't some aging veteran approaching 30. He's still young. And if he's pulling a Ken Griffey Jr. and refusing to sign with any team but ours then we're either going to get him cheaply now or for free when he's a UFA. Lafreniere, were he to be shopped, would probably have multiple suitors and the price would end up being steep. I'd like to have him too but the Rangers are going to want real assets for him, assets we may be loathe to part with.

If NYR don't even consider trading Lafrenière, then yeah it's a moot point.

Why I think it's possible from New York's point of view:

1- They've already got $73.38M in contracts allocated for next year's team, with 10 forwards signed, 5 d-men and 2 goalie (Louis Domingue's a journeyman / AHLer, so they might sign an upgrade & send him to the minors). The Cap next year is supposed to be around $83.5M next year. So a hair over $10M for 3 forwards and 2-dmen.

2- Among their notable free agents, they have Kane, Tarasenko, Lafrenière and Miller. I think they would love to re-sign all four, but unless Tarasenko & Kane decide to re-sign there for pennies on the dollar like Bergeron/Krejci did in Bawstun, I don't think it's realistic. If they let Kane & Tarasenko walk, the cap crunch becomes a lot easier. I think it's all but guaranteed Kane will sign there, contract $ to be determined. K'Andre Miller's not going to be signed for cheap, and if I'm his agent I point towards Travis Sanheim's contract (8 years, $50M or $6.25M AAV) as the starting point. Maybe NYR would try to convince him to take a bridge contract, but if I'm his agent, I squash that notion before it even starts.

3- NYR's contract situation is tough for them. The easiest contracts they have to move (Lindgren, Chytil, Kakko) are the ones they would be crazy to trade, and the ones that would be the most obvious to trade (Zibanejad 7 years @ $8.5M, Coleman 4 years @ 3.64M, Trotchek 6 years @ 5.625M, Panarin 3 years @ $11.64M) due to the players' age are going to be extremely difficult to do because teams don't just have cap space laying around. Not to mention New York would be demanding real assets in return, such as picks and prospects, which are worth their weight in gold.

4- While Lafrenière didn't blow the world up, and expectations might have been a little too high for him, he might demand more money than the NYR would be willing to pay. Kakko, for example, with slightly inferior production in his first three seasons, signed a 2 year, $2.1M AAV contract. I'm not sure Lafrenière would settle for that, and would instead point to someone like Kirby Dach, who got 4 years @ $3.5M AAV.

Maybe it's all pie in the sky, but Lafrenière's the guy I'd go for before everyone else.

Other candidates would need to be 21/22/23 with high upside, on teams that are at (or near) the cap limit. Pavel Dorofeyev in Las Vegas, Shane Pinto in Ottawa are some names. There's Zegras & Drysdale in Anaheim, but they have so much cap space available that it's not even worth discussing, they'll be getting re-signed there.

And if I can't get a player with that criteria? I'll just use the pick and see if I can get a defenseman like Sandin Pellikka or Reinbacher at 17th.
Reinbacher would be a gift but he probably goes top 10

Hard pass of Laf , Habs need a goal score with size and grit

He doesnt need the media pressure of Montreal

You know, trading Florida's first for PLD reeks of Buffalo trading their first for Robin Lehner nearly a decade ago when they thought they were close.

You can't rush this shit. Rushing this shit is what will keep this organization spinning their wheels.

Yeah, it sucks, yeah it's fucking boring, but you can't skip steps out of impatience. This team is nowhere near close to enough to start thinking about contending or making real playoff pushes.

There needs to be a young core of players in their early 20s and they need to grow & improve together. There needs to be constant replenishing of draft picks and young players added to the mix.

There also needs to be financial flexibility, especially in the modern NHL with this cursed cap.

I would trade Florida's first for Lafrenière. He's 21, needs a new contract but won't cost you an arm & leg, and I still think he has real potential.
IMO that Fla pick is used to acquire Carter Hart in some type of package

10 years without a Cup is, for me, just as bad as 10 years without playoffs. And I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times in the last 30 years when I had any optimism that the Habs stood a chance to win anything once they got to the playoffs.

I also learned, over that 3 decade span, that making the playoffs and even pursuing the playoffs was a contributing factor in the drought. It was mortgaging the future for a small amount of unsustainable success in the short term.

I don't want to be a mediocre team for 10 years, I want to be a team that is building something and not having the process continually sidetracked in a futile mission to make the 8th seed. I don't care about having a mere playoff team, I want a team that can win Cups. If it can't, then making the playoffs is useless.
Bad anology but this team needed chemo (short term) to get cancer free (cup contender).

And just like chemo there are still no guarantees.

Cole Eiserman in 2024, Michael misa (and D'Aigle) in 2025, Gavin McKenna in 2026.

2025 is looking less interesting than the probable #1 picks in 2024 and 2026, but maybe someone will stand out in the next season.
McKenna is that far out still?

I'm willing to wait.

IMO that Fla pick is used to acquire Carter Hart in some type of package
Goalie is the least of our needs , no need to waste a first on Hart

Get that 1D , 1C and more scoring on the wings with size ( beast Barlow)

Develop the bottom 6 ....Beck , Heineman , etc....

Our 2 goalies for now are fine , maybe Dobes takes over one day

He that good already? Like Bedard good?
I don't know if he's Bedard good, but he looks like he might be a special talent. He was the first 14 year old to play in the WHL this year because of his exceptional status and he was a PPG player, granted in less than 20 games due to the WHL's rules.

He's also Bedard's cousin.

McKenna is that far out still?

I'm willing to wait.
Yup. Late birthday, just turned 15 in December. He's going to be the talk of the WHL this upcoming season, though.

I don't know if he'll get the crazy hype Bedard did, but who knows what'll happen by the time his draft year arrives.

Krust and Geeman have convinced me, I have had a road to Damascus moment so my new view is this

"I think we should lose deliberately the next 5 years, then at that time, we can trade 14 and 22, think of the haul of more picks, lose some more, then trade Slaf for a huge haul of picks, and so on

Who cares about trying to win or putting on an entertaining product for those paying for the product, what matters is the prospect pool"

how does his defensive awareness stack up?
Like Bedard, it probably sucks, but it'll be like Erik Karlsson: For all the bad defensive play he makes, he'll make up for it by making twice as many awesome offensive plays that lead to scoring opportunities.

:)

Like Bedard, it probably sucks, but it'll be like Erik Karlsson: For all the bad defensive play he makes, he'll make up for it by making twice as many awesome offensive plays that lead to scoring opportunities.

:)
Mike Bossy didn't play defence either, I would have preferred him to Mark Napier's defensive awareness ;)

Krust and Geeman have convinced me, I have had a road to Damascus moment so my new view is this

"I think we should lose deliberately the next 5 years, then at that time, we can trade 14 and 22, think of the haul of more picks, lose some more, then trade Slaf for a huge haul of picks, and so on

Who cares about trying to win or putting on an entertaining product for those paying for the product, what matters is the prospect pool"
I’d love for the Habs to win the Cup in the next couple of years . . . but no matter what they do in the near term, that won’t happen.

Last edited:
Back