• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumors: 2024-25 Season

Wow, things changed from my days as an editor at the Trib, which was definitely the less PC of the two student papers. I once got away with putting in some crap that might get me expelled now or at least stern Twitter attention.

As for name changes, I'd rather not as I have good memories from there, but it's a complicated subject where the changes are sometimes appropriate and sometimes an overreaction. I expect the McGill higher-ups are making the best decisions as to the future reputation/funding of the place.
When I was there in the mid/late 80’s, every other edition of the McGill Daily was the Palestinian issue edition as I recall.

Ok in this scenario:

Habs are drafting 7
Florida pick is in the 20s
Hughes acquires NYR pick for Anderson (or another late round pick)

Would you trade all 3 for Dubois, Morrissey, Hellebuyck?

Chevaldayov saves face by claiming a rebuild and walks in with four first round picks. No way they can lose that PR war.

Habs acquire #1 D, proven starting goalie, and a solid seconds line center/winger.

I think I do this deal if they're all healthy.
It all depends on who’s still available at 7.

Yes because I think it’s a steal for us and we can likely get more reselling them individually.

Yep.

And so can they. From their perspective, they can still get some hockey from them and trade them to bubble teams or contenders before the deadline. This isn’t a Kane to NYR situation.

See I don't see it as a steal. In fact I bet there are people that would consider it an overpayment.
Let me recap. We’re getting a 28 years old Norris caliber D signed for 5 more years at 6M. A 29 years old Vezina caliber goalie, one of the few true #1 in the league, signed for one more year (the biggest risk if we can’t resign him), and a 25 years old power forward good for 60-70 points, can play center or wing, and the cost is a top 10 pick and two late first rounders. It’s a no brainer in my book. I’d trade the 7 and 21 for Morrissey alone, even though maybe not in our specific situation.

Ok in this scenario:

Habs are drafting 7
Florida pick is in the 20s
Hughes acquires NYR pick for Anderson (or another late round pick)

Would you trade all 3 for Dubois, Morrissey, Hellebuyck?

Chevaldayov saves face by claiming a rebuild and walks in with four first round picks. No way they can lose that PR war.

Habs acquire #1 D, proven starting goalie, and a solid seconds line center/winger.

I think I do this deal if they're all healthy.
I would in a heartbeat. 3 firsts for those 3 players? Thing is no GM in the world would trade those 3 for just 3 firsts lol

I would in a heartbeat. 3 firsts for those 3 players? Thing is no GM in the world would trade those 3 for just 3 firsts lol
Unless it's the best he can do. The Jets are chum right now and the GMS are smelling the blood.

Yes I know it's unlikely but from a PR standpoint, going into the draft with four firsts would appease most fan bases.

I like thinking outside the box.

Ryerson is a newer school— so easier to rebrand — though the new name is stupid

the bigger deal here is renaming one of the major streets from Dundas to ????

I could literally stand on that street right now and ask pedestrians and shopkeepers who Dundas was and 99.5% of folks would not be able to answer
That's not a problem. Montreal changes street names all the time. Just rename.Dundas to Boulevard Rene Levesque. Lord knows he did more for Toronto's economy than he ever did for Montreal's.

Let me recap. We’re getting a 28 years old Norris caliber D signed for 5 more years at 6M. A 29 years old Vezina caliber goalie, one of the few true #1 in the league, signed for one more year (the biggest risk if we can’t resign him), and a 25 years old power forward good for 60-70 points, can play center or wing, and the cost is a top 10 pick and two late first rounders. It’s a no brainer in my book. I’d trade the 7 and 21 for Morrissey alone, even though maybe not in our specific situation.
Morrisey is the only piece they will keep in their retool , if they decide to blow it up

I can’t see Chevaldayoff getting the okay to blow it up & rebuild - Jets have already been talking about need to pick attendance up…
Good luck with that one , they are the Caps next year with status quo

End of the road with this team , just like the Caps and Pitt

The retool will be forced upon you

Gradually, yes.

In two years’ time the exodus will be roughly similar as a fire sale but the intake should be considerably better than 3 picks in 2023.

Last edited:
Back