• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Season Ending State of the Union / Expansion Draft Thread

Wonder who Avs leave unprotected? Might come down to Kadri vs Girard depending on which formula they wish to pursue (7-3-1 vs 4-4-1)

We've seen with Petry that if he's your #1 d-man, your team probably isn't that great. And that's when he's playing the best hockey of his career.

Mixed with his age, he's a player that should have been traded for a superb return. It would have robbed us of this year's run, yeah, but over the long run, which seems like the wiser decision?

The Habs might be forced to move Petry for assets because Gallagher could become a buyout candidate and would get SFA in return. This is potentially the worst case scenario.

Trading all your vets does not seem like a wise move, even if individual deals look tempting. But they need to make the right choice given the position, the player market and organizational depth. Last summer, I thought signing Petry and Danault long term made sense, but not Gallagher.

0 other teams will be paying PD more than 3.5m to be a 3rd line C with little scoring. We will have to overpay at 4m to keep him, what's scary is there are people/fans that want him at 6m. I am not sure what planet they are from, but they are supposed fans of this team. We still need room to add a real scorer too at 7-8m (ya not PD), right now we are still a bubble team.
0 chance you know that for a fact.

Danault will likely get $4.5-5m. Even with the shift in league economics.

I actually feel that people in Montreal way over index on the latter. We'll lose 1-0 and we'll focus on the goal that went in and not on the fact that we couldn't score a goal.
Agreed. We should not be obsessing over whether Danault stays or goes. If you can't score and you arent a goalie you are not moving the needle no matter what else you're doing. Any 4th line scrub can be coached up on how to kill penalties, block shots and take faceoffs. Scoring goals requires actual talent. That's what you pay big money for, scoring talent, not the wet work of shot blocking and penalty killing.

Agreed. We should not be obsessing over whether Danault stays or goes. If you can't score and you arent a goalie you are not moving the needle no matter what else you're doing. Any 4th line scrub can be coached up on how to kill penalties, block shots and take faceoffs. Scoring goals requires actual talent. That's what you pay big money for, scoring talent, not the wet work of shot blocking and penalty killing.
Like Toronto? Vegas? Edmonton? Winnipeg?

Yes. Bottom six forwards should get bottom six money. Paying top six prices for bottom six talent is a waste. Evans can do what Danault does for a fraction of the cost.
So paying high priced stars to not perform is better?

I agree the Habs need more skill but I disagree with a top heavy roster.

0 chance you know that for a fact.

Danault will likely get $4.5-5m. Even with the shift in league economics.
Someone will give him 5.5m easily.

Top 5 shutdown C in the league with 50 points potential, and he was hyped as fuck in the playoffs.

So paying high priced stars to not perform is better?

I agree the Habs need more skill but I disagree with a top heavy roster.
We're a medium heavy roster. Our four highest paid forwards combine for $19.65M. If you include Drouin, then our five highest combine for $25.15M.

Matthews & Marner combine for $21.5M, Crosby-Malkin $18.2M, McDavid-Draisaitl $21M.

If that’s the case don’t hit your head on the way out
It was pretty obvious that's what's going to happen when Bergevin, answering a question about Danault shutting down all the top guys from the other team, said "there's five other guys on the ice"

Back