• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Season Ending State of the Union / Expansion Draft Thread

Yup & runner up in 2012 to the GM gig MB landed. Also, when Scotty was pondering taking the Leafs President gig, one of his conditions was McGuire be the GM
It will never happen. Peanut isn't respected around the league and there's no way he's put in charge of one of the flagship franchises imo.

Montreal became the first team since 2001 to play 20 post-season games while having their most-used forward score only once.

That wont happen moving forward
It amazes me that in 2021 people are still solely focused on the goals that go in and never on the goals that were kept out.

I actually feel that people in Montreal way over index on the latter. We'll lose 1-0 and we'll focus on the goal that went in and not on the fact that we couldn't score a goal.
It's a balance sure but it's definitely skewed towards what wasn't done as opposed to what was.

It amazes me that in 2021 people are still solely focused on the goals that go in and never on the goals that were kept out.
Think about statement for a moment

Your forward with the most ice time scores 1 goal in 22 playoff games

Name a team that wins a cup this way ?

He is a solid 3C checking center , but cant be utilized this way moving forward .

Think about statement for a moment

Your forward with the most ice time scores 1 goal in 22 playoff games

Name a team that wins a cup this way ?

He is a solid 3C checking center , but cant be utilized this way moving forward .
It's nothing abnormal to have your #1 shutdown guy play similar minutes to the center he's shutting down. This is a pig in a poke.

It's nothing abnormal to have your #1 shutdown guy play similar minutes to the center he's shutting down. This is a pig in a poke.
If Dano is on the ice for nearly 22 minutes in a do or die game 5 , your doomed .

It’s like having Eller do the same for the Caps

If Dano is on the ice for nearly 22 minutes in a do or die game 5 , your doomed .

It’s like having Eller do the same for the Caps
Eller produces more though, but doesn't defend as well.

Credit where credit is due, he shut down Toronto first line, Winnipeg first line, Vegas first line, and Tampa first when matched against it.

Honestly that's good enough for me if the other 3 lines can provide the scoring.

Still, for that amount of ice time, you'd expect a bit more production.

True question is what's a fair price for Danault? I have a hard time going over 3-3.5M for 4 years.

$4M to $4.5M seems fair for me.

His offensive stats from the previous two seasons are a mirage, he benefited greatly from playing up the lineup due to the lack of any other center option.

Danault has always been the prototypical third line center. Pair him with a Lehkonen and/or Evans type, and you've got one of the best shutdown lines in hockey.

He's the one player out of all of 'em that needed contracts that I would have re-signed (I wanted to trade Gallagher & Petry), but alas, here we are...

If you look at the UFA centres, Danault is among the youngest. He would provide years of protection for Suzuki and Kotkaniemi.

We've seen with Petry that if he's your #1 d-man, your team probably isn't that great. And that's when he's playing the best hockey of his career.

Mixed with his age, he's a player that should have been traded for a superb return. It would have robbed us of this year's run, yeah, but over the long run, which seems like the wiser decision?

We've seen with Petry that if he's your #1 d-man, your team probably isn't that great. And that's when he's playing the best hockey of his career.

Mixed with his age, he's a player that should have been traded for a superb return. It would have robbed us of this year's run, yeah, but over the long run, which seems like the wiser decision?
And the correct answer is that there's no way to actually know, since there's no assurance that they would come this close again even with a good return for Petry. Absolutely none.

Credit where credit is due, he shut down Toronto first line, Winnipeg first line, Vegas first line, and Tampa first when matched against it.

Honestly that's good enough for me if the other 3 lines can provide the scoring.

True question is what's a fair price for Danault? I have a hard time going over 3-3.5M for 4 years.

I gave him full credit but shutting down sometimes is a team effort and luck

How many posts did Matthews hit , how many great saves did Price make , or our D punishing the opposition .

You can’t simply say Dano shut anyone down all on his own and give the rest of the team no credit

However our next 3 lines can’t score consistently to justify his ice time , that’s the problem .

You simply can’t play an offensively flawed player 22 minutes in a critical game

He needs to be Pageau as mentioned in the past

3* 3.5 is fair given that most likely he will be mostly put in a third line checking role.

He is better suited on a team like Leafs or Colorado that score more

Last edited:

Petry is Bobby Orr for about 30 games a year , then plays inconsistent for stretches .

I know he was hurt this year but a bit surprised by his lack of production in the playoffs.

I agree a home run deal was there for us along with Gally , if this regime had the stones to pull it off

Petry is Bobby Orr for about 30 games a year , then plays inconsistent for stretches .

I know he was hurt this year but a bit surprised by his lack of production in the playoffs.

I agree a home run deal was there for us along with Gally , if this regime had the stones to pull it off
Just maybe not being able to bend the finger to grip for the shot has something to do with it

0 other teams will be paying PD more than 3.5m to be a 3rd line C with little scoring. We will have to overpay at 4m to keep him, what's scary is there are people/fans that want him at 6m. I am not sure what planet they are from, but they are supposed fans of this team. We still need room to add a real scorer too at 7-8m (ya not PD), right now we are still a bubble team.

Back