• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Season Ending State of the Union / Expansion Draft Thread

I'm not sure about that. I think The Charlatan could be particularly charismatic when he has someone's ear. Like Timmins, I think he's a top-notch salesman.

if you're a sucker, those guys sound smart....but so does Trump and anyone else peddling snake oil.

If I'm Geoff, I ain't looking for charisma

if you're a sucker, those guys sound smart....but so does Trump and anyone else peddling snake oil.

If I'm Geoff, I ain't looking for charisma
So you’re saying the great GM Serge Savard’s an idiot? As is Scotty for writing a full page article detailing why he’s endorsing MB?

People in the know back then were saying that MB was a phenomenal talent evaluator. That's probably why he ended up getting the gig here.

No..,I mean in terms of endorsing MB, Scotty & Savard both did

They obviously like the guy. And maybe Brisebois was less likeable (though I know Gainey thought the world of him -- Brisebois impressed him by working long hours studying the CBA/contract minutiae/player scouting and quickly shot up from legal affairs to Asst GM)

At the end of the day, people get recommended for all sorts of reasons other than merit or qualifications. I've seen it in my line of work; and I'm sure you've seen it in yours.

Yup.

Problem then becomes, who's The Charlatan's replacement? I can't name you a single person who can fit the bill outside of Martin Madden Jr in Anaheim, simply because of the language shit.

I'd really want someone who isn't a "hockey guy" and try to get the next Julien Brisebois.
Not for nothing, but on Pierre McGuire's daily radio hit with Melnick, a question was asked about his future plans now that NBC is losing the NHL rights. Pierre said he had something brewing but he waant at liberty to disclose. I always figured he'd just move to ESPN but now I wonder.

McGuire was Geoff Molson's coach at St. Lawrence University, was he not?

Yeah, who would want a "hockey guy" to run a hockey team? For every analytics guy who's succeeded actually running a pro sport franchise, there are at least 3 or 4 who have not. Just get the right guy, whether he's a former player or not. The problem is that you won't know if you did until a few years after they've been hired.

50% of their success is having common sense to run a franchise and don’t make dumb decisions

The thing is organizational goals / strategy have to be mapped out and executed

Need to hire the right support staff and the right fcken draft team that has a clue

Having a dumb owner like us doesn’t help

Last edited:
Not for nothing, but on Pierre McGuire's daily radio hit with Melnick, a question was asked about his future plans now that NBC is losing the NHL rights. Pierre said he had something brewing but he waant at liberty to disclose. I always figured he'd just move to ESPN but now I wonder.

McGuire was Geoff Molson's coach at St. Lawrence University, was he not?
Yup & runner up in 2012 to the GM gig MB landed. Also, when Scotty was pondering taking the Leafs President gig, one of his conditions was McGuire be the GM

Mellanby and Lapointe are candidates, according to Friedman.
From Friedman’s 33-thoughts - he speculates:

1. During his end-of-season media availability on Friday, Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin said, “I have one more year under contract, and I will honour that.” He added the last 16 months were “tough on me. Mentally, it was very difficult.” Prior to the end of the regular season, there was plenty of reason to believe owner Geoff Molson was firmly in Bergevin’s corner and had offered the GM an extension. But one source warned to be careful. He said Bergevin was burnt out and may not want to return.

At the very least, today’s comments are some confirmation of that. Staying another season gives everyone time to breathe, but it’s not like the white-hot spotlight of Montreal is going to decrease. I do wonder if Bergevin and Molson discuss a new front office structure, where Bergevin moves up to a President of Hockey Operations-type role and either Scott Mellanby or Martin Lapointe becomes GM.

After the Canadiens beat the Pittsburgh Penguins and lost to the Philadelphia Flyers in the 2020 bubble, Bergevin doubled-down on his theory that his team would be a tough out in the playoffs — if the Canadiens got there. That proved to be correct, as Montreal became the first team since the 1965 Chicago Blackhawks to reach the Stanley Cup Final despite going pointless in their last five regular-season games. (The 2020 Dallas Stars finished 0-4-2 before the pandemic pause, while the 2015 Blackhawks went 0-4.) Now we see how that factors in his decision-making.

Two key immediate decisions: expansion draft and Phillip Danault. Expansion: does Montreal protect the “big four” defencemen, risk one unprotected or cut a deal with Seattle? As for Danault, who confirmed turning-down a long-term deal before the season, Bergevin said, “He’s still in our plans and we hope he remains with our team.” It is believed team and player were $500,000-$750,000 per year apart on an extension.

The Canadiens appear strong down the middle with Nick Suzuki, Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Jake Evans (who Ducharme clearly trusts), plus Ryan Poehling ready for the next level. But Danault led them in playoff ice-time among forwards (by one second over Suzuki). Montreal became the first team since 2001 to play 20 post-season games while having their most-used forward score only once.

3. We’re all expecting Montreal to get Dominique Ducharme locked up. And no one’s going to be stunned to see Alexandre Burrows coaching AHL Laval. Luke Richardson’s contract is up, too. Does he stay or look elsewhere?

I like DD, he can't speak english well even though 98% of the team speaks it, and his eyeballs look like they are going to pop out of his head, other than that. Great guy.

Back