• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Season Ending State of the Union / Expansion Draft Thread

Question for the brilliant minds on this board - I’m assuming Seattle’s asking price for striking deals w teams is absurdly high, so...

Could Allen be traded to a team with a slot open for a goalie to protect at expansion draft, and be re-acquired, post expansion draft? Paper transaction?

i.e trade Allen to Sabres for a 5th, with an arrangement in place that Habs will pay a 3rd rounder to re-acquire? Is that even legal or would the league annul such a deal?

Any team with an open spot for goalie should use that opportunity to grab, and keep, one of the good goalies that will be available.

Question for the brilliant minds on this board - I’m assuming Seattle’s asking price for striking deals w teams is absurdly high, so...

Could Allen be traded to a team with a slot open for a goalie to protect at expansion draft, and be re-acquired, post expansion draft? Paper transaction?

i.e trade Allen to Sabres for a 5th, with an arrangement in place that Habs will pay a 3rd rounder to re-acquire? Is that even legal or would the league annul such a deal?

I wouldnt do anything at all

Goalie market is flooded , let the draft play out and let them take 1 player from our list ...no side deals

I wouldnt do anything at all

Goalie market is flooded , let the draft play out and let them take 1 player from our list ...no side deals
Which goalie has the experience and pedigree of Allen to potentially provide that level of performance for 35-40 games next season at his cap hit or lower?

Reactions: CH1
Which goalie has the experience and pedigree of Allen to potentially provide that level of performance for 35-40 games next season at his cap hit or lower?

If I'm Seattle I'm probably looking at Chris Driedger in Florida or Adin Hill in Phoenix. Holtby and Khubodin are also options for veterans backups. There is also quite a few UFAs available.

But yes Allen is an option, but then if he's picked then we get to keep Chiarot, which would be my pick if I'm Seattle. Drouin would be an attractive option if left unprotected too.

If you want to keep him, why not just deal directly with Seattle, offering them a pick to force them to pick Chiarot instead.

If I'm Seattle I'm probably looking at Chris Driedger in Florida or Adin Hill in Phoenix. Holtby and Khubodin are also options for veterans backups. There is also quite a few UFAs available.

But yes Allen is an option, but then if he's picked then we get to keep Chiarot, which would be my pick if I'm Seattle. Drouin would be an attractive option if left unprotected too.

If you want to keep him, why not just deal directly with Seattle, offering them a pick to force them to pick Chiarot instead.
IMO Seattle will be asking premium prices, whereas, there may be cheaper options elsewhere

JD at 1/3 buyout value is worth it for us

Allen is built for 30 games a year thats it

Tons of goalies available , Ullmark , Greiss , etc ....who can back up

Seattle isnt touching Jake IMO
So you think Ullmark & Griess will be able to perform under the goalie scrutiny in the Mtl market?

In fact I’d even take a 1-year Suter 35+ heavy bonus laden deal

$1M salary + $4M bonus
WTF is Minny doing ?

Couldnt they just retain half of Suters contract and make a good trade

Parise ..............Robidas Island or a mysterious testicle infection

WTF is Minny doing ?

I suspect they asked both to waive NMC for expansion draft and both said no ...but that’s just me speculating. Remember Minny needs to get Fiala & Kaprizov signed and rumor has it he wants $10M+ to stay in NHL

Lou is going to grab Parise without a doubt

Also, he’s not an elite crosschecker but who knows? Maybe Staal will wax poetic about the Habs locker room

WTF is Minny doing ?

If they were willing to waive their NMC, Minny could have simply expose them to the draft. I think the biggest issue was finding a team willing to put them on their protection list.

Back