• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Shane Wright

Or just use all the picks….if it’s not a great draft year, more reason to use all our ammo in hopes of hitting on some picks.

sometimes these hockey experts are wrong, and these weak draft classes might turn out great because Covid prevented scouts from seeing them
yep - it is an unknown draft imo

there are going to be some great players taken low because of the covid impact

That's almost certain to happen . . . despite Grant McCagg's rantings on Twitter.
It's obvious to everyone except McCagg. You never take a winger over a center. So at #1 the choice for Hughes is really between Wright and Cooley and Wright is the superior player IMO, if only because of the number of games he's played and the level of competition compared with Cooley. Slafkovsky is a winger but he's ranked beneath Wright for a reason. Centers are more important pieces than wingers. Wingers are like running backs and wideouts. There's always another one available. Centers are like quarterbacks. Way more valuable.

Based on what I heard, Wright is able to do his thing while playing within his own (considerable) limits due to his hockey IQ and athleticism. Cooley is more “dynamic”, i.e. he plays a more frenetic game. At the NHL level, I am much more comfortable with someone like Wright.

Wright’s game kinda sounds similar to Suzuki’s in a way. Not a Tasmanian devil, just really smart.

Based on what I heard, Wright is able to do his thing while playing within his own (considerable) limits due to his hockey IQ and athleticism. Cooley is more “dynamic”, i.e. he plays a more frenetic game. At the NHL level, I am much more comfortable with someone like Wright.

Wright’s game kinda sounds similar to Suzuki’s in a way. Not a Tasmanian devil, just really smart.
One of the talking heads (I think Gord Miller) said last week, scouts are wondering whether Wright’s hockey IQ being at the NHL level would make him more effective given the style of game he has, where players would have complementary levels of aniticipation / positioning @ NHL vs junior level players

Cooley , needs to put up more dynamic numbers compared to Wright to be taken # 1

Wright plays more of 2 way game and has the edge with size and strength

I dont think Cooley will be as good as Jack Hughes

Cooley , needs to put up more dynamic numbers compared to Wright to be taken # 1

Wright plays more of 2 way game and has the edge with size and strength

I dont think Cooley will be as good as Jack Hughes
Cooley has barely played any games. I think the predictions about Wright are more likely accurate than those relating to Cooley. With Cooley it's mostly projection because he hasn't played enough games to eliminate doubt. He's trending in the right direction, but until he actually gets those games under his belt we don't really know. They say the knock on Wright is that Covid wiped out an entire year of his development but in the OHL he's still been able to play way more games than Cooley in the NCAA and, I would argue, against stiffer competition for the most part.

Cooley will play at the University of Minnesota next season but up to now the sum total of his game experience is the US development team for which he has played a grand total of 51 games. maybe he lights it up for the Gophers next season or maybe he's peaked. We won't know until it happens. Wright, by contrast and even with that lost season of development thanks to Covid, has played 121 OHL games and 11 post-season OHL games. He's far more of a known quantity than Cooley and the OHL game is more NHL-like than anything you see in US high school or college. Picking Cooley over Wright would be a Timmins-like reach. Cooley may also become a good NHL player but Wright is as close to a guaranteed good NHL player as there is in this draft. Hell, I might even put Geekie ahead of Cooley for that reason.

One of the talking heads (I think Gord Miller) said last week, scouts are wondering whether Wright’s hockey IQ being at the NHL level would make him more effective given the style of game he has, where players would have complementary levels of aniticipation / positioning @ NHL vs junior level players
You see this even in the NHL. McDavid is often playing 3D chess while his linemates are playing checkers. How many more points would he have right now if the teammates that he sets up for easy goals actually scored on all those opportunities? Half the time they blow it simply because they aren't expecting the puck to arrive on their sticks when McDavid puts it there. Their brains can't keep up with him sometimes.

That's probably something like what Wright deals with at the junior level, playing alongside lesser players who don't anticipate as fast as he does. I think he's got a high hockey IQ just like Suzuki. They both think the game very well. I don't know how a kid like Cooley could have a well-developed hockey IQ at this point since he's barely played any games compared to Wright.

It's obvious to everyone except McCagg. You never take a winger over a center. So at #1 the choice for Hughes is really between Wright and Cooley and Wright is the superior player IMO, if only because of the number of games he's played and the level of competition compared with Cooley. Slafkovsky is a winger but he's ranked beneath Wright for a reason. Centers are more important pieces than wingers. Wingers are like running backs and wideouts. There's always another one available. Centers are like quarterbacks. Way more valuable.
But are we getting a Sam Bradford at #1 ?

Back