• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Shane Wright

I somehow don't see HuGo as caring that the draft is in MTL, so if they pick Wright, it's because they think he's the BPA at #1

I doubt HuGo repeat the Leblanc draft....

I somehow don't see HuGo as caring that the draft is in MTL, so if they pick Wright, it's because they think he's the BPA at #1

I doubt HuGo repeat the Leblanc draft....
HuGo have the honeymoon period benefit which Gainey no longer had @ 2009 draft

It sucks this draft doesn’t have a slam dunk 1OA, seems more & more like a Cale Makar situation

Unless it's a generational draft year, you rarely get slam dunks anymore

I think Slaf's ceiling is higher, but I think you always get better value picking a center (assuming both players are pretty even in the eyes of most scouts)

FWIW, in the last 10-drafts the highest 1st rounder to have been dealt was 7OA by Yotes to NYR (Stephan deal) w Gorton selecting Lias Andersson in 2017

Leafs acquiring Kessel was the last time a top-5 pick was dealt (2010 draft), we know how that turned out…

Wright is the right pick.

Take Cooley and Wright is better and it's "you idiots you overthinkers" etc

Take Wright and Cooley is better and it's "well you really can't blame them for taking Wright"

Narratives matter

U18 out of nowhere not WJ…. just like AKos, which is why I didn’t like the pick besides wanting Hughes
Bobby Mac had Slaf ranked 4th last summer. He didn’t come out of nowhere like KK. Terrible comparison by German.

Last edited:
This might be more of a Hall vs Seguin (except both those players were centers)
Not even close

It was Tyler vs Taylor for a year or more heading into the draft

Most never heard of Slaf until after the Olympics

If they were cancelled it would be even more different

Not even close

It was Tyler vs Taylor for a year or more heading into the draft

Most never heard of Slaf until after the Olympics

If they were cancelled it would be even more different
I told you, Bobby Mac had him ranked 4th in the summer of 2021. Who cares about “most?” And it’s similar because Hall is a wing and Seguin a center. Who was the better pick? Hard to say. Hall won a Hart Trophy but is now a shadow of his former self and Seguin had some big years but now looks to be near done too.

Last edited:
Back