• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Sinclair/Ballys/ESPN/TNT ... broadcasting access, tips and notes

Every time I've called spectrum to cancel, they drop our bill significantly. But this last time they dropped it about $50. But I see we're still getting billed the old amount. So I think we're going to give YouTube a try. I just wish YT had History Channel.

I'm still happy to be back on YTTV, but remember ... when you go to a streamer, you have to be ready to bail when things change. It's a never ending cycle once you jump off the cable carousel. Keep it month to month and keep attentive to market changes and it's all good

So far, so good with my switch to YouTube TV this summer. I miss the History Channel, too - but I really didn't watch it often enough for that to be a showstopper. I don't like the multiple steps and pauses to switch channels, but the difference in cost more than makes up for any inconvenience.

YouTube TV promises to be about $40 a month cheaper than Spectrum. Not a massive savings. Will I have to pay extra to watch Canes?

YouTube TV promises to be about $40 a month cheaper than Spectrum. Not a massive savings. Will I have to pay extra to watch Canes?
Bally's was an extra $20 a month for me on the Ballys app once I made the switch over to YouTubeTV. Who knows where Bally's stands for Canes broadcast rights by the time October rolls along...

It's my understanding that Amazon Prime is in play for Ballys viewing, but no word on additional cost yet. Safe to assume that $20-25 per month for the Ballys app is the baseline expectation. Ballys could also cut a deal with Hulu or YTTV by October as well. For now we just have to wait and see

Yeah, get used to higher price tags. Every streaming service that focuses on sports has been losing money ... like a lot of money.

Yeah, get used to higher price tags. Every streaming service that focuses on sports has been losing money ... like a lot of money.
That’s what ever increasing salary caps mean.

Used to watch for free on network tv and advertising paid the cost.

Now you have to pay more and more to be able to watch WITH ads still. And they’re losing money.

So they soak the fans more because they’re overbidding for the rights.

Or maybe we’re not paying our fair share since these guys that play a game for money are worth all those millions they get.

The NFL won a huge judgement in court today. They had lost a class action lawsuit surrounding the accessibility and cost of NFL Sunday Ticket when it was exclusive to DirecTV. The jury awarded the plaintiffs $4.7 billion, which could have been trebled since it was an anti-trust case. The NFL appealed and today the trial judge tossed the entire case. At a minimum, the award would have been reduced because the jury did not follow his instructions on the calculation of damages. But the judge determine that the jury was misled by expert witnesses, who he allowed to testify. He found the testimony should have been excluded and, as a result, he determined there was no basis for the verdict. The plaintiffs can appeal to the 9th Circuit.

That’s what ever increasing salary caps mean.

Used to watch for free on network tv and advertising paid the cost.

Now you have to pay more and more to be able to watch WITH ads still. And they’re losing money.

So they soak the fans more because they’re overbidding for the rights.

Or maybe we’re not paying our fair share since these guys that play a game for money are worth all those millions they get.
Nobody ever watched free television. We watched television paid for by advertisers. The big change in the market is that advertisers are no longer willing to pay the whole cost of all the stuff we consume, much less pay extra for premium products (that don't deliver numbers anymore) which for years subsidized our sports broadcasts on cable.

Nobody ever watched free television. We watched television paid for by advertisers. The big change in the market is that advertisers are no longer willing to pay the whole cost of all the stuff we consume, much less pay extra for premium products (that don't deliver numbers anymore) which for years subsidized our sports broadcasts on cable.
Didn’t say it was free I said paid for by advertisers. Said they’re overpaying for the content. So they’re losing money. Their solution it to raise prices on us, the consumers. Instead of realizing that the product (athletes, actors,celebrities) are massively overpaid.

The advertising used to be the whole nut in terms of TV revenue. Then it was advertising plus subscription. Now that’s not enough. I guess at some price people realize what a frivolous waste of money (and miss allocation of resources) that is but if Taylor Swift concert ticket prices are any indication there is no way to overestimate the stupidity of people so I suppose they have an unlimited pool of money to drain.

You're free to stop consuming content you consider over-priced and to stop supporting athletes and performers you consider over-paid at any time.

And for the record, I'm not trying to be snippy with that comment. That's how the free market works, and part of the current issues with weird availability and pricing is that people HAVE been tuning out. If you want to change the market, you have to vote either with your dollars or your feet.

Comforting to see a letter arrive by mail this week advising that Ticketmaster was hacked back in April and their was a significant data breach to many of their customers credit cards and personal information. The Canes playoff ticket run would have been the only time I used those bastards...so lucky me I guess. If paying all those ghastly fees was not enough, they decided to add on an extra bonus!

I got one of those joyous emails from AT&T not too long ago. Always reassuring to know that none of our data is safe

Back