• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Tech Thread

Serious question though....how are we going to stop the "dead internet" from happening? When the entire internet is inaccurate AI generated nonsense and bot accounts screaming at each other the internet becomes pretty useless

A year ago there were signs governments were going to be a little bit proactive on AI legislation, but nope,. nothing. Even EU which surprises me.

A year ago there were signs governments were going to be a little bit proactive on AI legislation, but nope,. nothing. Even EU which surprises me.

If I had to guess, they're going to leave it to the "market" to sort itself out. Which is probably not the worst idea ever tbh. This seems legit crazy to suggest right now but this is how at least some of today's internet giants disappear in the future. Google's results become a mish mas of AI generated trash and people migrate slowly and then not slowly to a search engine that filters out shitty AI written results (Brave, DuckDuckGo, etc). Twitter is already a dead man walking imo and it's the social media platform with the clearest bot issue.

Other than Elon, all of the other tech giants are going to be sensitive of signals the market sends them imo. If people start either using other platforms, or even using the internet less because it's of a significantly lower quality than it used to be, the Google & Zuckerbergs will pivot hard against AI inclusion on their platforms. They'll gladly sacrifice AI to keep people from taking really hard looks at things like their online privacy, internet/life balance, etc. I'm not even sure what you would legislate right now, or how.

Back