• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Tech Thread

Yeah. The Internet sucks. But that’s what happens when your eyeballs are the profit metric

Legacy TV had the same business model and also sucked.

Pay TV eventually changed the game for the better… but of course all this streaming content costs money because it costs a shit ton to make a ridiculous amount of tv who’s is impossible to keep up with.

You don’t need to subscribe to ever service because (here’s a life hack) you don’t need to watch every decent show being produced.

You’ll run out of time a lot quicker than money.

Yeah. The Internet sucks. But that’s what happens when your eyeballs are the profit metric

Legacy TV had the same business model and also sucked.

Pay TV eventually changed the game for the better… but of course all this streaming content costs money because it costs a shit ton to make a ridiculous amount of tv who’s is impossible to keep up with.

You don’t need to subscribe to ever service because (here’s a life hack) you don’t need to watch every decent show being produced.

You’ll run out of time a lot quicker than money.
Yup, all our friends have almost every service... And zero time to watch anything. We're down to Netflix and Prime. And we never use prime.

Done paying for streams and cable companies. Just use one service at $150/year that comes with everything. Maybe get NHL so I can watch the leafs without having to wake up at 6 or 7am to see it live (as they let you start the game from the beginning at any point and catch up).

Extra range will help, but the EV industry is starting to buckle under the resale value issue. Dunno if 600 miles per charge instead of 350 is the problem there.

I’m definitely one of the sickos still remaining. But more and more, I’m sticking exclusively to my own feed of only accounts I’m following, and not bothering to look at any of the bot/troll-filled replies to any of those tweets.

And I’m kinda expecting that any day now, Elon’s going to throw a temper tantrum about how his posts and posts by his favourites aren’t getting enough impressions and likes, and he’ll blame that on people being able to wall themselves up inside their own feeds.

So he’ll combine the two feeds, so that Tweets from accounts you actually follow are interspersed with hordes of tweets from Elon, his favourite Nazis, blue checkmark bot accounts and Russian trolls. All of which you will no longer be able to block or mute either.

I’m definitely one of the sickos still remaining. But more and more, I’m sticking exclusively to my own feed of only accounts I’m following, and not bothering to look at any of the bot/troll-filled replies to any of those tweets.

And I’m kinda expecting that any day now, Elon’s going to throw a temper tantrum about how his posts and posts by his favourites aren’t getting enough impressions and likes, and he’ll blame that on people being able to wall themselves up inside their own feeds.

So he’ll combine the two feeds, so that Tweets from accounts you actually follow are interspersed with hordes of tweets from Elon, his favourite Nazis, blue checkmark bot accounts and Russian trolls. All of which you will no longer be able to block or mute either.

I basically never stray from my timeline of accounts I follow. High quality comments are part of what made twitter so compelling in the first place though, so those turning into a blue check nazi circle jerk has smashed a bunch of its utility to me and made the entire experience way less tolerable.

yah, I'm fairly similar. don't really post or interact, and mostly stick to my following feed.

unfortunately Twitter really is a Utility. It's irreplaceable seems like. He's definitely made it way worse and taken most of the fun out of the replies because he never understood that he is just terrible at twitter, but in terms of its basic news utility it still works.

apparently bluesky is getting better now so maybe i'll revisit but i doubt it.

Twitters real value is that of a wire service, but with real time clips and commentary. It gets harder with fake news and bots plus Nazis, but if you have a good curated list, you don't see them that much. Just don't read the replies... lol

Back