• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Pre-Season/Training Camp Thread (2019/20)

the only thing I'll say is that if it means more time for the top-4, and a guy like Sandin gets extra minutes with those top 4 guys, then it's not all bad.

In fairness, why is Dubas bringing in these players if he doesn’t want Babcock to possibly play them? Harpur isn’t a holdover or anything. He didn’t have to acquire him.

In fairness, why is Dubas bringing in these players if he doesn’t want Babcock to possibly play them? Harpur isn’t a holdover or anything. He didn’t have to acquire him.
Thats what baffles me. Dubas goes out of his way to take away bancocks toys then for no reason potentially gets him a newer worse one. Its not like the Sens said no deal unless you take this mindless ent

Base salary is 75K more expensive than his cap hit, on a full one way contract (as in, he's owed all 800K of salary even if he's sent to the AHL).

Whenever you're wondering why Eugene does anything, look at the money. Harpur wasn't a piece Dubas asked for, he was part of the cost of getting rid of Zaitsev.

Thats what baffles me. Dubas goes out of his way to take away bancocks toys then for no reason potentially gets him a newer worse one. Its not like the Sens said no deal unless you take this mindless ent

Eh, Dubas decides who makes the final roster. Let's revisit Babcock's selection of toys after rosters are finalized.

Base salary is 75K more expensive than his cap hit, on a full one way contract (as in, he's owed all 800K of salary even if he's sent to the AHL).

Whenever you're wondering why Eugene does anything, look at the money. Harpur wasn't a piece Dubas asked for, he was part of the cost of getting rid of Zaitsev.
Was unaware of this.

Him being included in the trade doesn't mean Dubas wanted him. With the cap and the 50-contract limit, a lot of trades in the modern NHL have random flotsam & jetsam included in them to balance out the contracts & money.

In Harpur's case, Ottawa's right up against the 50-contract limit, and his inclusion in the deal meant that the Sens were taking in three NHL contracts in the deal while sending an equal number of contracts the other way.

From a financial perspective, he's on a one-way deal that pays him $800K. So if Sens management had decided this was a guy they wanted to move on from, I'm sure it'd be Melnyk's preference to avoid paying a guy that much money to play in the AHL.

Tools-wise and age-wise, Harpur isn't a complete lost cause, of course.

and I still say he had a legit monster 3rd period last game.

Yeah, I seriously can't see Dubas picking Harpur over his many other options. The fact that the team lacks knuckle draggers is by design. Babs needs to get up to speed.

Back