• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

They can bury Laff and sign a guy like Motte at league min. Can kill penalties and stuff and do everything Laff does. Probably better too. Feels like a no brainer.

Kane’ll probably wait until halfway through the season and then, if he’s sufficiently recovered, sign on with a contender.

Trade deadline I think. But if they played i Europe they have to clear waivers after some date before that.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure this is it. As long as a UFA signs with a team prior to the trade deadline, they’re eligible to play in the playoffs.

And you only have to clear waivers if you’ve been playing in another top professional league, like that Euro goalie Dubas signed (and then promptly lost on waivers) prior to one trade deadline.

I don't think that euro goalie would have been eligible for playoffs that year.

pretty sure there's a signing deadline.

I don't think that euro goalie would have been eligible for playoffs that year.

pretty sure there's a signing deadline.

I don’t think that’s correct.

I think you’re getting this mixed up witj the RFA signing deadline. RFA’s have to be signed by December 1st, or they’re not eligible to play that season (and Dubas bumped right up against this deadline with Nylander).

There’s no such equivalent deadline for UFA’s though.

giphy.gif

1693337922960.png

If it looks unremarkable, it’s because it is. Over the course of Matthews’ career in Toronto, the Maple Leafs are just one goal better than their opponents with him on the ice in the playoffs. That’s still markedly better than the -11 differential the team sees without Matthews, but I think this is the best (and simplest) explanation as to why the Maple Leafs continue to run into walls when it matters most.

When their best player (and best units, by and large) are on the ice against tougher competition, the Leafs can compete, but usually towards break-even. When that group comes off, Toronto is a net-negative team.

Laying significant blame at the feet of Matthews for Toronto’s postseason undoing doesn’t feel appropriate, but it also seems too kind to be dismissive of it as an issue. And when you are soon to make $13.2 million per year in the seasons ahead, waiving away the lack of impact in the postseason just isn’t going to fly.

Last edited:
Back