• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

Ehhh...nice try.

I'll take "damning with faint praise" for 1000 Alex.

You're really hanging too much of his value on his 19% shooting performance last season and not enough on everything else he's done in his career. He's our 7th best offensive forward at best (*offer not valid in the playoffs) and could easily be passed by Robertson, Knies, and Holmberg this season if the kids are given opportunities. A guy who puts up ~15 goals in middle 6 usage is easily replaceable.
Sorry, I didn't know I was talking to someone with a PhD in Jarnkrok.

If the other guys pass him, then great, he's expendable. I fully expect Knies to be studly, but I don't count on Robertson for anything other than an annual season ending injury, and I love Holmberg, but he still needs to prove himself.

Sorry, I didn't know I was talking to someone with a PhD in Jarnkrok.

I mean, there's a significant gap between a PHD and thinking that he hatched the day before Dubas signed him. He's a guy, just a guy. But he's been just a guy for a decade before he got to Toronto.
If the other guys pass him, then great, he's expendable.

That's the point, he's already expendable, whatever the kids are this season. We don't need him, and we need the cap space.

The other guys haven't passed him yet.

My issue is with losing him for nothing. He's not a zero. If they're going to be clearing cap room, they should do it with some package deal where they recover appropriate value and maybe even improve (by adding some young player who might be like the other kids on the cusp, rather than just a junk pick).

Jarnkrok can be moved too.
I really do not want to lose Timmins. What a waste of a strong asset. 14 points in 25 games and looked real solid. But Jarn is a veteran so can't lose him!!! Timmins is "Unproven".
Very tired of this horseshit Repeatedly wasting assets.

The “problem” is right now that we don’t have any bad contracts. Except Reaves, who just got here. I actually don’t want to lose anyone, so some creative 2 or 3 for 1 trade would be the way to go, to at least ship off say McCabe and Jarny for some good young forward making $2m. But then we’d be weakening a slim D unless Timmins is ready. If so, that’s the way to go.

When do they actually have to be under the cap? Seems like an injury to pretty much anyone before they have to be under would probably take care of things.

When do they actually have to be under the cap? Seems like an injury to pretty much anyone before they have to be under would probably take care of things.

It would have to be an ltir injury and we'd face the same problem when they were ready to go.

Jarnkrok is the obvious one. Easy to move coming off of a career high season, contract has 3 years left on it which makes it a problem if he has a down year or declines. Also, and motherfucking crucially, a complete void in the playoffs....so what is the fucking point having him here at all if we know how it ends? It's like insisting on boarding the titanic, despite having already seen the movie, because you got your ticket for cheap.

Sign Tatar, trade Jarnkrok, move Bertuzzi to RW (apparently he plays both)

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Tavares-Bertuzzi
Tatar-Holmberg-Nylander
XXXXX-Kampf-XXXXX

With the X's being whoever you want out of Gambrell, Reaves, Lafferty, Steeves, Robertson, McMann, maybe even Hirvonen by mid season if he acclimates to the AHL well.

Dubas' core failure in one statistic

Nice that he pulled off “we can and we will” and kept them all.

But the other essential part of that equation was continued quality drafting and development, and being smarter than other management groups when it came to depth value adds in trade and free agency.

And just epic failure when it comes to that. All we got was a dry prospect pipeline, firing mountains of draft capital into the oven for bad veteran deadline rentals and Yarncocks, Mein Kampfs and Kerfaces in free agency & trade.

yeah it's just plain weird how he completely shied away from adding anyone else that could create their own offense. a bunch of decent defensive guys and complementary offensive guys but not one single offense driver added. unless you consider old man spezza that.

I don't think the drafting was bad at all tho.

Safe. Safe draft picks, safe acquisitions beyond the core. No real thinking outside the box, trying to stretch the cap situation a bit to make a big push or acquiring more talent to surround the big boys. He focused on safe gudpros at a certain point. Safe cheap McCabe at 2m instead of risky aging Ekholm, safe ol gudpro Foligno, Nash, Schenn, Boosh, etc.

Never a Bertuzzi or an Ekholm, and he certainly could have tried last year. Though ROR was the best offensive player he added since Tavares probably. That was an encouraging swing. Just wish he went a bit more balls to the wall and added one more guy up front like bertuzzi.

He managed like he was frightened to screw up the cap situation. Fair fear but at this stage I think having a gm that is more bold could put them over the top. And it's too bad because Kyle wasn't always like this. He made some great moves to build the dcorps, added Tavares etc. But it just seemed like he felt his job was done after a bit.

Back