• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

He misjudged and misplayed that too. ROR should’ve been only a complimentary piece at the deadline, not the centerpiece of his deadline additions. He got him and thought he solved all secondary scoring issues in one fell swoop, but fucked up.

It wasn't bad per se, in that the players picked at whatever spot provided decent value. But it definitely didn't turn out to be an organizational strength or anything.
Dubie suffered from the abominations that were the Hunter drafts, if we’re being fair.

Dubie suffered from the abominations that were the Hunter drafts, if we’re being fair.

Yes but he didn't really help himself all that much either. Our ability to provide roles to and develop our young players has been pretty ugly the last few years. How the fuck do you know how well you're drafting, if you're not developing?

Yes but he didn't really help himself all that much either. Our ability to provide roles to and develop our young players has been pretty ugly the last few years. How the fuck do you know how well you're drafting, if you're not developing?
Eh I put this more on Keefe not playing the kids.

He drafted a lot of guys that score high on "probability to be an nhler" and low on "star probability" based on those nerd charts. Idk how accurate those nerd things about but it did seem to be by design. I think he'll churn out some hits down the road but hard to say the Leafs have much potential for star talent in their system maybe other than Knies.

He had a safe approach to drafting because I presume he felt they needed complementary type of players as opposed to more high upside offensive skill. Seemed to be his strategy up and down the organization through trades, free agency and draft in the latter years. He was content with letting the core guys do the heavy lifting and didn't feel they needed much in the way of scoring depth for a few years now. Which is a shame because they were so close to being a near perfect team.

That Matthews 60 goal season was a wasted opportunity because we may never see that performance again out of him. He was obscene.

Eh I put this more on Keefe not playing the kids.

That's his choice of coaches.

It's all hollistic man, it's all connected. Draft isn't just the names picked out of a hat in late june, it's the 4-5 year commitment of the organization to develop them as professionals and provide them with opportunity.

the early returns really got crushed by Robertson's injuries and Amirov.

But also burying Sandin & Lilly behind veteran scrubs. Not giving Holmberg a run of games as 3C last year, being entirely allergic to the idea of playing our organizational kids as bottom 6'ers ahead of the Simmonds, ZAR, Lafferty's of the world, etc, etc.

We're just not an organization that provides young players opportunities until we're absolutely forced to.

But also burying Sandin & Lilly behind veteran scrubs. Not giving Holmberg a run of games as 3C last year, being entirely allergic to the idea of playing our organizational kids as bottom 6'ers ahead of the Simmonds, ZAR, Lafferty's of the world, etc, etc.

We're just not an organization that provides young players opportunities until we're absolutely forced to.
Yup, and basically from one regime to the next too. Let's see if Tre is different.

Robertson --- Holmberg --- Knies
Grebenkin --- Minten --- Hirvonen
Voit --- Tverberg --- Moldenhauer

Sandin --- Durzi
Villeneuve --- Niemela

Hildeby
Akhtyamov
Peksa
it'll probably end up looking pretty good, especially given 3 first rounders were traded away and a 4th passed away.

yep.

promising that we haven't added any PTOs this year.

Benoit I guess fits in this kind of prospect-blocking category but on defense Niemela and Villenueve are only 20 and 21 and don't need to be counted on yet. not to mention Benoit fills a completely different need.

At forward is looks like there's definitely room being left open for Knies/Holmberg/Robertson this year, especially if they do the expected and move one of the vet forwards before the season.

Back