• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

I've seen games in

Tampa (first arena)
Buffalo (both arenas)
LA ( the forum)
Vancouver (Rogers Arena Game 5 2011 final)
Toronto (of course) both rinks
New Jersey Prudential Centre. Huge lobby

Not sure. During the Habs Cup run he was so useless that he went from their #1 line to healthy scratch… and that team wasn’t exactly stacked with offense

He wet the playoff bed against last year with NJ
You mean Lafferty at $1.1M is a better bet than Tatar at $800k or whatever?

I'm torn on Pierre (heh)

On one hand, I'd like to see what he would have been able to do with the same type of opportunity KerfKrok received in Toronto. That he could carry the 3rd line without much help ended up hurting him here. He was annoying (a bit of a big bitch, though opposing teams seemed to fucking hate him for some weird reason, I've never seen him bust a grape in a food fight) and of pretty limited hockey IQ with the puck (which would have aggravated me to no fucking end if he was in the top 6 I think) but he was effective out there. Dunno if I would have been cool with throwing 3 million at him long term (though I prefer his deal to Kampf's....I think we're going to find out the hard way that Pierre was carrying that line) but at the end of the day I definitely prefer him over the rest of our depth. He's just flat out better than Jarnkrok, Kerfoot, Kampf, Lafferty, ZAR, etc.
Nothing to be on the fence about. He was awesome and we should've extended him, not traded him.

Big loss.

Yeah, once you hit 30-40 games of pure fall on dick failure in the playoffs, it's a pretty safe bet that you're going to continue falling on your dick.
But if someone was going to get erect for a postseason and bounce back up, would it be some no name garbage who can't find a $1M offer from any team or a guy like Jarn who we know has the skill to do something?

would it be some no name garbage who can't find a $1M offer from any team or a guy like Jarn who we know has the skill to do something?

Why is Jarny the guy who we know has the skill to do something and Tatar is garbage? Tatar has scored 20, 7 times in his NHL career. Jarnkrok once.

Jarnkrok is the no name garbage in your scenario, not Tatar.

and both of them are likely to be invisible in the playoffs, save the 1.1 million in cap space in that case.

Nothing to be on the fence about. He was awesome and we should've extended him, not traded him.

Big loss.

Long term money on a guy who is good in the regular season but invisible in the playoffs is a bad idea.

So yes, there is definitely something to be on the fence about regarding Engvall.

1 goal in 23 career playoff games is bad. You can't build your depth around guys who habitually disappear when the games start to matter.

Engvall: 1 goal in 23
Bunting: 2 goals in 13
Kerfoot: 6 goals in 48
Acciari: 6 goals in 65
Lafferty: 1 goal in 10
Jarnkrok: 5 goals in 86
Aston Reese: 2 goals in 29
Kampf: 3 goals in 27

Can't win with depth like that. Better to rip off the bandaid than to wait for what you know is going to happen in the spring.

Yeah, Tatar's no better, but you're better off with him for 1x1 than Engvall for 3x a lot, Kerfoot for 3.5x2, Bunting for 4.5x3, Jarnkrok for 2.1x4, Acciari for 2.0x3, Kampf for 2.4 x 4 etc.

But if someone was going to get erect for a postseason and bounce back up, would it be some no name garbage who can't find a $1M offer from any team or a guy like Jarn who we know has the skill to do something?

What exactly is he “bouncing back” to? That implies he was actually good at some point and that there’s hope he’ll return to that level.

He’s 31 years old with 9 separate playoff runs and 86 playoff games under his belt. And it’s almost impressive just how consistently bad he’s been. There’s not even a single playoff run you can point to in the whole lot where he was better than terrible in terms of his offensive production.

It couldn’t be more clear at this point what kind of player he is come spring. Just about any player, whether they have no playoff track record at all or merely a shorter track record of futility, would be a better bet than him.

Engvall was excellent at his AAV with the Leafs. You don't really need or expect goals from him because he does so many other things extraordinarily well and you kinda hope some of the guys around him can provide some offense. But yeah, committing longterm at real money (admittedly it may look cheap at some point with a sharp cap rise) is not something the Leafs are in position to hand ou.

Why is Jarny the guy who we know has the skill to do something and Tatar is garbage? Tatar has scored 20, 7 times in his NHL career. Jarnkrok once.

Jarnkrok is the no name garbage in your scenario, not Tatar.

and both of them are likely to be invisible in the playoffs, save the 1.1 million in cap space in that case.
I wasn't saying Tatar is the no name garbage. In a different post I said I'm down with adding him. But let's replace a Laff, not Jarn.

I love going to visiting arenas to see the leafs and talking with other Leaf fans who have travelled to games. Spending a ton for Scotiabank? Nah. I had a freaking blast at Mullet arena drinking with the Snowbird Leaf fans.
Yeah in my experience Leafs games are more fun to attend on the road than at home.

Heinen or Tatar would be pretty good Jarnkrok replacements that save you $1+ mill. Other than scoring goals, which has value, Krok doesn't have much impact. Even in the regular season.
Tatar’s playoff track record is no better than Krok, IIRC. Although if you can get him for league min I guess the cap savings are worth it.

Back